cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't power up

johnecab
Apprentice

I have a two-year old SX 530 HS.  I had not used it for a few months, and when I tried powering up just now I got a message that read "Lens error. Will shut down automatically. Restart camera.”  Then nothing happens and it won't turn on.  The lens is extended and it won't retract.  The battery is fully charged.  Any advice?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi johnecab,

This sounds like it might need some troubleshooting or service. I recommend talking to a Powershot support agent to see if they have any tips. They're open M-F 9am-7pm EST at (800)652-2666

LauraJM
Apprentice

I have the same problem with the elph 180 except Canon is the only thing on the screen for a second and shuts off with the lens extended.  I am able to turn it back on for a second again and the lens goes in and then back out and it shuts off and the battery is back to orange in the chager even though it's a new battery.  I bought a new battery because I thought it might be a battery problem but they problem continues to happen.

Were you able to figure out a solution to this problem?  I have only had this camera for 6 weeks.

I was told by a local dealer and by a Canon rep on the phone that the shutter is broken and will need to be replaced.  Canon said the cost to repair exceeds the cost of the camera, so they offered to replace the camera at a discount. 

You only had the camera for 6 weeks then you should contact whoever you bought it from for a refund or exchange

Thank you for your reply.  I just spent an hour chatting with Amazon.  Since it is beyond the return period Amazon will only give me $20 back.  I contacted my credit card about their protection plan.

Announcements