cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5x mark ii or g7x mark iii?

nanami04
Apprentice

Title, looking for a sharp quality image and I’m worried the g5x will be softer that the g7x. I’ve also heard that the viewfinder is gray on the g5x but not sure it’s essential. Which do you prefer for photos? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Having shot with both, I would say the main difference between them are sensor size and focal length.
The G1XMkIII has the bigger sensor, which might be helpful if you are considering producing larger prints, for example, but it has the shorter focal range.  It does have the advantage of some weather sealing.
G1XMkIII, 40mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-100G1XMkIII, 40mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-100 G1XMkIII, 40mm, f/9, 1/40sec, ISO-640G1XMkIII, 40mm, f/9, 1/40sec, ISO-640

The G5X sports a smaller sensor (which is still a good one) and a longer focal length, which will advantage you in being able to zoom into isolate or reach subjects.  It will still produce good, clear images.  Both are good cameras.

G5X, 37mm, f/8, 1/200sec, ISO-125G5X, 37mm, f/8, 1/200sec, ISO-125  G5X, 32mm, f/11, 1/200sec, ISO-250G5X, 32mm, f/11, 1/200sec, ISO-250
BTW, I would recommend using the electronic viewfinders over the rear LCD, you will find that you get much steadier results with less blur from camera movement.
I recommend you spend some time getting to know the camera and controls, and read the manual - take it with you when you travel or download a PDF from the Canon support site for the model you choose. 

They are both good cameras, the rest is up to how you use them.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements