cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 - Blown highlights

cmsrocon
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm really pleased with my Powershot G15 - great indoors in low light, great outdoors with blue skies but I have one problem which I need help with. Whenever I take an outdoor shot with an overcast all-white sky, the photo turns out terrible.

The edge between the sky and the forground seems to bleed together and look foggy. On the LCD preview, the sky flashes, which I presume means it is too bright?

Apologies - I'm an amateur and shoot on auto mode. Is this a camera fault, or do I need some help on using manual mode for this type of shot? Anything I can do to simply improve this type of shot? My camera phone seems to handle this scenario ok, so I imagine I should be able to get similar results with my G15?

An example is attached. What can I do to improve the contrast around the tops of the trees? The sky looks really bright, it wasn't at all.

Thanks for your help!

RobIMG_8203.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

@cale_kat wrote:
Okay, you crop it, post it, and I'll critique it!😀

original-2.JPG

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I like your crop and I agree with the straightening. Just for hoots, I put them side my side, shown below. I like the right edge of the building and the corner of the roof included in the shot as mine shows and the space of wall at right doesn't bother me, the basket of flowers anchors it well enough. I do like the "squared-up" crop but still see little benefit to the addition of the white "haze" highlights in the upper left, specially the one in the corner which I find distracting.

Just my $.02.

@cale_kat wrote:

I like your crop and I agree with the straightening. Just for hoots, I put them side my side, shown below. I like the right edge of the building and the corner of the roof included in the shot as mine shows and the space of wall at right doesn't bother me, the basket of flowers anchors it well enough. I do like the "squared-up" crop but still see little benefit to the addition of the white "haze" highlights in the upper left, specially the one in the corner which I find distracting.

Just my $.02.

I actually like your version of the aspect ratio better, since it gets rid of the rest of the hazy sky. I preserved the OP's 4:3, but wished after I had posted it that I had trimmed it to 3:2, which I guess is what you did. I still like my left-right positioning better, though I might not trim it quite as close to the flower pot if I were doing it over. Let's face it: there's no time sink like photo editing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

As mentioned by other users, try and get away from the 'AUTO' setting and set yourself free!!

Set the selector to P and adjust to your hearts content. Make sure to shoot in RAW.

Checkout www.seezmo.com and you will find some great tips for the G15 there. I've owned a lot of cameras in my time and my current 'flagship' is a Nikon D300 but I can honestly say that the Canon Powershot G15 is my favorite piece of gear....small enough to go anywhere and some great results to boot.

Announcements