cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focusing on the moon

HeraldoAZ87
Apprentice

I own a G7X, I haven’t been able to focus on the Moon in Auto or Manual mode.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks, HeraldoAZ87

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A shining white ball could mean you are both OOF, and over exposed at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you mean that you cannot focus in manual mode? Can you focus on other things? My T6S has no problem autofocussing on the moon the other morning.

In manual mode I set the focus to infinity and all I got was Shining white ball out of focus.

Out of focus or over exposed? It is very easy to over-expose the moon. If you look at my blood moon photos, in the photos section I had to turn the exposure down 3-4 stops to keep from blowing the highlights.

Out of focus.

"Infinity" is often a range on these cameras, try to adjust it manually, especially if the lens was cold at night.

A shining white ball could mean you are both OOF, and over exposed at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_
Authority

Hi!

I dont know a lot about your camera but for mine to do that, SX50HS, I had to first use a tripod and remote wired shutter switch because I was zooming in to about 100X, I had to adust or move the focus frame or brackets to an area on the moon with some contrast and detail after I framed my shot. I think you can also resize the focus frame to a smaller size. You should be able to get good shots with your camera. I use Program mode for my shots try that if you have it but it should work in Manual also.

Announcements