cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot sx510 HS- unable to set shutter speed

Whitewolf
Apprentice
I'm trying to set the shutter speed under M mode, in the manual it says to press the +/- button, choose
adjustment of shutter speed or aperture
value, and turn the control dial to specify
a value. Well that's lovely, but that doesn't work. The control dial doesn't turn. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's broken. Anyone else run into this problem? I know it's not a new camera, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

Hi and welcome...nice camera! I think there should be a ring that goes around that dial that turns and not the dial itself

Whitewolf
Apprentice
Thanks for the welcome! Right, it's a little ridged ring. It turns a little, but it doesn't change the shutter speed. I believe it's broken, but I was hoping it wasn't. Oh well, thanks for the help!

Your welcome! There is a circuit board under that ring that reacts to it turning and makes the changes. If it's not some weird setting then I suspect either the ring and/or that circuit board have failed. You did a reset to defaults and the other one where you remove the battery and press the on button for at least 30 seconds then replace battery and retry?

Whitewolf
Apprentice
I did try both of those, no luck. Serves me right for buying a used camera! Thanks again!
Announcements