cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELPH190is suddenly not recognized by PC Wifi

clif9710
Contributor

I am using Windows 7. After over a year of reliable service, when I went to download photos from my ELPH190is as I usually do, the downloading did not occur. Instead it would time out with the message "Check Network Settings" though nothing had changed that I know of. I tried resetting the camera to defaults then going through the routine of connecting to a device. In this procedure, the access point is properly identified then my PC shows up as it should, but when I attempt to connect, it says "connected device:" with my PC id properly shown, but sits on this message with the spinning wheel icon and goes no further. I tried starting from scratch using the WPS procedure with the button on my Comcast router. But I simply end up in the same place. I choose my PC and the camera hangs as just mentioned in the last paragraph With the camera on, when I open CameraWindow on the PC, a message appears on the PC immediately: "Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera then retry." My guess is that the camera transmitter has failed though it can still receive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Clif9710,

Before considering repair, I recommend checking with our Technical Support Team for assistance.  For contact options, please use this URL:  http://Canon.us/ContactCF

The Canon iMAGE Gateway (using web services) is the component, in your camera's wireless connection connection, that allows you to send images sites such as Canon iMAGE Gateway, Facebook, Twitter and Flicker.

With regard to the transfer of images during outages, all Canon cameras have a USB connection. Your camera's mini-b terminal is under a small door on the right side of the camera (as you hold it to take a photo).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Clif9710,

Thanks for posting.

The Canon iMAGE Gateway, required for your camera's Wi-Fi connection to your computer, has been down for maintenance for the last couple of days. It's back up now, so I recommend trying the connection again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Richard, thanks very much for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the problem persists. I get around it by swapping the memory card to another camera that has a USB connection.

I used a Wifi monitoring program on my PC to look for the camera's MAC address when I attempt to use it to transfer pictures via Wifi. At no time do I see the camera MAC address appear in the list of Wifi signals, though I am right next to the PC that is monitoring Wifi - so the signal should be strong. This makes me think I may be right about the Wifi transmitter failing in the camera. I checked with Canon service and they want $39 for any repair to my ELPH190, so perhaps I should ship it off to repair...

Its not a wifi in the camera issue... I am having same issue with SX60 HS and a new out of the box SX530 HS.

Each time the camera attempt to connect the result is "Check Network Connection".  My net work is fine, due to the fact all my other devices are connecting through it.

Hope this is just a remnant from the maintenance they did on the gateway.

Thom

I guess the thing to do is wait a few days and see what happens.

I don't understand why transfer between the camera and the PC should involve a Canon gateway. There is an icon that displays on the camera to be clicked for uploading to Canon's cloud service for photos, but I'm not using that.

Hi Clif9710,

Before considering repair, I recommend checking with our Technical Support Team for assistance.  For contact options, please use this URL:  http://Canon.us/ContactCF

The Canon iMAGE Gateway (using web services) is the component, in your camera's wireless connection connection, that allows you to send images sites such as Canon iMAGE Gateway, Facebook, Twitter and Flicker.

With regard to the transfer of images during outages, all Canon cameras have a USB connection. Your camera's mini-b terminal is under a small door on the right side of the camera (as you hold it to take a photo).

Richard, you have saved the day. I had no idea there was a USB connector though I have used the camera for years. From no on I will skip the Wifi and connect to the PC with a cable. I am a happy camper.

Announcements