cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not wish to use Canon software

KJ
Apprentice

I tried a search on this but didn't find anything.  My mum has just bought a Powershot ELPH330HS.  There seems to be a disturbing trend in digital cameras these days where one has to install the proprietary software in order to even get the photos from the camera?  With my older PowerShot and every camera I'm used to using in previous years, the camera card is simply treated as another drive.  In her Mac, for example, I could locate it in Finder and open, without any ridiculous software dances.  I could plug it in anywhere and retrieve pictures.  Now it seems there is no way to access the camera card in Finder, and the pictures must be pulled from the camera card by the software.  

I have absolutely no desire to install the software and have her held hostage by Canon and their software.  I want to simply open the card in the system browser and view the pictures/remove them from the camera as I wish.  Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

diverhank
Authority

This camera uses SD cards and records pictures in JPG format.  You should be able to read the SD card and download pictures in any computer with a card reader.  You don't need Canon software to download pictures unless via the camera or via wireless.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

cicopo
Elite

Don't know why you don't like Canon's software but agree with Hank on this. A simple card reader will do the job UNLESS you've bought a newer card than the reader you already own can recognize. New card formats need the correct type of reader. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements