cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I make a BIG mistake....

DiamondDoll
Contributor

I bought a Powershot SX420 IS and so far, I’m not too happy...  I’ve been reading the manual and when I got to the Software Installation page I now find out that the software is not compatible for MAC OS Monterey 12.3.1.  This bothers me, tremendously!   I work as a Software Product Marketing Manager  and I can’t believe a product that is part of a technology-based company DOES NOT bother to update their own products so they are compatible with APPLE.  In fact, according to Canon’s website, the software for  OS compatibility hasn’t been updated since 2019!!  Before I return this (and hopefully I’ll be able to), does anyone have any suggestions or information on this issue?  

Thanks so much!  

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To be honest, from this and other posts on this camera, you seem to have bought an old model camera that is six years old (a long time in this business).  If I allude back to your other issues with the banding it is likely old stock the store was off-loading, and for which it appears they charged a premium price.  I was also concerned that you ended up with a counterfeit card - did you get this from the same retailer?   Frankly, I would return the camera immediately for a refund if you can do so, and do some more research on cameras to find out what is on the market now - cameras have come a long way in six years...  For example, the camera manual will not refer to the software version you mentioned because the manual was written in 2015, and your software was released this year!
If you can get a refund, why not come back to us and tell us what you need from a camera, giving us budget, the kinds of subjects you want (including video or stills), what you want to produce (big prints, small prints, for digital display or social media).  We can help you look for something that is going to work for you.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ok, so first off, thank you for your replies.  I knew this camera was not a newer model but I am someone  who just wants a good camera to take pictures  and use photoshop for the rest.  The camera had a 30 day return policy so returning is probably not going to happen unless it is in fact defective, and currently I've been in touch with the store that sold it to me but we are playing phone tag so hopefully on Monday I’ll be able to speak with someone.  You mentioned something about a counterfeit card????  This was never my issue....So I’m not sure where that came from.... I did have a micro card that was not reading properly but after checking the manual I was using a microSD card and this camera called for a micro card so I don’t think the camera was the problem.  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You have posted several items here, all of which indicate that you have issues with using your camera. From the one about blue lines you gave the impression that you paid "the going rate" and that it was not "inexpensive", but gave us no numbers, but the suggestion was that it wasn't cheap.
A camera that is six years old is very old and should command a serious discount, even if new.  I was curious about why you had a limit on when you needed to resolve your issues by, but don't see a specific response to that.   It is always wise to do your testing well within the return period, especially for old gear, to be able to take advantage of the return policy.  I asked a couple of questions to clarify that, but found no response.

The issue of your card came up and I confused your comments with a response from Crystal Countess, so apologies for that!  Given that you had been sold an old camera and apparently were not able to return it, I was a bit suspicious of the whole thing.

Your third issue was the software download referred to in the manual - which, given the age, makes total sense to you now, I hope.

Look... If you are happy with your camera and it works for you then that's great.  🙂  It seems that you need to spend a lot of time getting to know the camera, and my first suggestion is the manual.  I have been shooting for too many decades and I still refer to the manual for any new-to-me gear.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements