cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon powershot sx60 hs

cage
Apprentice

Enter a body

Canon powershot sx60 hs how to set my camera to video recording a kids soccer game at night

10 REPLIES 10

Grazie
Rising Star

If it is anything like my SX50hs, then forget it. The Video record is about 6 to 8 stops PLUS darker than anything you can get with stills. Unless, of course, the Soccer field is swimming in great lighting.

The actual image receptor chip of these cammies is made very small to allow for the massive zoom engineering/architecture out at the front end. What this does is "limit" the amount of light photons falling onto that chip. This results in relatively little light being collected onto the chip. Add to this the loss of light due to the optics of the zoom and we are into a very narrow corridor of light levels. You want better capture? You need a bigger receptor. You want longer zooms? You need faster optics with LARGE diameter lenses.

Grazie

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

H Cage,

There are a couple of things I recommend for nighttime videos.

First, use a Tripod to shoot your movies.  If you use a tripod, I recommend that you turn the camera's image stabilizer off, as described on page 90 of your PowerShot SX60 HS Camera User Guide.

If your movies are underexposed, try raising the ISO a bit to compensate, as described on page 73.  I do recommend experimenting,  If the ISO is set too high, your movies will  be grainy, so you'll want to set it high enough to get the shot, but low enough to avoid the graininess,

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The Page73 reference has the "Movie" option greyed-out. Does that mean that there isn't an ISO adjust for Movies?

G

Hi Grazie,

You're correct- I erred in my reply to you. When shooting movies, Manual ISO control is not available unless you're shooting in the Manual Movie Mode. I don't recommend this mode, because you'd also have to adjust the shutter speed and aperture.

I regret the difficulty this has caused.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Richard wrote:

. ..  Manual ISO control is not available unless you're shooting in the Manual Movie Mode. I don't recommend this mode, because you'd also have to adjust the shutter speed and aperture.

Other than opening-up the aperture, which I do do, Richard, even in Manual Movie Mode, I don't see Manual ISO as an option. As I said, I have the SX50hs, has this been changed in the SX60hs?

G

Hi 

I am completely new to photography but was in Iceland looking at the northern lights. Our guide was taking photos and I became very interested. He said for a decent night sky shot I needed to set a long shutter speed - say 10-15 sec and have it set to ISO 3200. I looked at the Canon SX60 and it said i could set to 15 seconds and the max iso was 3200 - so I bought it. However when I go to Manual settings the maximum ISO I can seem to set is 100 when shooting with a shutter speed of 15secs. I can however shoot with ISO 3200 at 1 sec shutter speed. 

I guess my question is whether I am missing something that allows me to shoot with a longer shutter speed and higher ISO? Or have I simply bought the wrong camera!!!??!!!

Thanks to anyone reading and apologies if my email is nonesense - like I said I am a total novice! 

Mark

You should not have taken your guides advice about photography.

ISO3200 with a night sky will cause horrible chroma noise, especially with a small sensor point and shoot. I think the camera is trying to keep you from getting really bad images.

tarrantmark
Apprentice
Thanks KV - really what I want to do is take pictures of stars - away from light pollution what would your suggested settings be on this kind of camera?

I'm not sure if you can take a long enough exposure, 15 seconds in manual mode.  You will most definitely need a tripod.  You will need to use your shortest focal length. 

That leaves determining an ISO setting.  Start in the middle at ISO-800.  You want an exposure that is slightyly overexposed, which you can clean up in post-processing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements