cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50 HS

Jalexp
Apprentice

Hi everyone;-)

I've purchased a Canon SX50 HS and have been able to take some nice shots of the Moon and Mars last night. I'm a complete novice and can't fathom out how to adjust the aperture or ISO and whether one of these is the shutter speed??

I've been reading magazines about taking shots of waterfalls with an f value of f/32 but when I look at my settings it only goes upto 8?

Any ideas would be appreciated as I have a day out soon at Niagara Falls and would like some good shots - it's why I bought the camera in the first place;-) Thanks John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

For the waterfall shots, the more important settings for you would be to use shutter priority, which Canon calls Tv on the dial for time value, and set that to about 1/4 second. Use an ISO of about 100 or 200, and let the camera set the aperture. Use a tripod to avoid camera shake, and turn off the Image Stabilization when you are using the tripod. This will give you the silky look on the falls, while keeping the rest of the photo pretty sharp. I'm hoping that contributor John will respond to this item because he owns this camera and should have some more exact settings to use. Either way, you may have to try a little tweaking of the shutter speed depending on how bright it is when you photo the falls, but try and keep the shutter speed open for at a slower value if possible. just try multiple shots until you're satisfied with the results.

Steve

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is website location for user manula:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powershot_sx50_hs#Bro...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

smack53
Mentor

For the waterfall shots, the more important settings for you would be to use shutter priority, which Canon calls Tv on the dial for time value, and set that to about 1/4 second. Use an ISO of about 100 or 200, and let the camera set the aperture. Use a tripod to avoid camera shake, and turn off the Image Stabilization when you are using the tripod. This will give you the silky look on the falls, while keeping the rest of the photo pretty sharp. I'm hoping that contributor John will respond to this item because he owns this camera and should have some more exact settings to use. Either way, you may have to try a little tweaking of the shutter speed depending on how bright it is when you photo the falls, but try and keep the shutter speed open for at a slower value if possible. just try multiple shots until you're satisfied with the results.

Steve

Thanks to everyone who kindly took the time to answer my query, I am very grateful!

It's not everyone who would do it, so thanks;-)

Best regards,

John

Thanks Steve, 

I'm very grateful and will be trying this out soon;-)

Regards,

John

John_
Authority

Hi, go here http://www.mwest.co.za/blogg/youtbube/ he does a whole series of You Tube videos specifically for the SX50HS. He covers many many different aspects of the camera and I still go back to them for help myself. And like I said he uses our camera the SX50HS for all his lessons. He presents the lessons in an easy to understand way too...I think you will like it.

I also bought a book off Amazon which is for the SX40HS but it applies to the SX50 also.

Cheers John for the great info!

Best regards,

John

Hi John. I have a "new to me SX50". I'm a brand new learner and feeling overwhelmed, but am determined. Can you please tell me the title of the book you bought on Amazon for the SX40? On my SX50 the flash symbol keeps flashing on and off, and I'm not sure if it is a malfunction, or if there is something I'm doing wrong or not knowing to do.

Yes, of course, the title is Canon Powershot SX40 HS Photography written by Dennis P. Curtin. Also, look up MWESTPhotography on You Tube he does a whole series of videos using the SX50HS

Announcements