cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot a570is - keep or junk it?

HelsiBorlis
Apprentice

I just started collecting action figures and I've seen all these wonderful pictures of people taking of their collections. I tried taking pictures with both my HTC One M8 and Nexus 9 and they came out horrible. So I fished out the only dedicated digital camera I have, which is probably 10 years old now.

I tried taking pictures with it and the lighting is a lot nicer than with the phone or tablet. But one thing it seems to be unable to do is focus on things up close which is what I really want it to do. So can I calibrate this thing to do what I want or should I just get rid of it and buy something new? Did these cameras have problems with focusing in general? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@HelsiBorlis wrote:

I just started collecting action figures and I've seen all these wonderful pictures of people taking of their collections. I tried taking pictures with both my HTC One M8 and Nexus 9 and they came out horrible. So I fished out the only dedicated digital camera I have, which is probably 10 years old now.

I tried taking pictures with it and the lighting is a lot nicer than with the phone or tablet. But one thing it seems to be unable to do is focus on things up close which is what I really want it to do. So can I calibrate this thing to do what I want or should I just get rid of it and buy something new? Did these cameras have problems with focusing in general? Thanks.

Every lens has physical limitations.  One of them is MFD, minimum focusing distance, which means the lens can only focus on objects that are at, or further away from the MFD.  

Another physical limitation  of lenses is that the closer the subject is to the lens, the shallower the depth of field.  In layman's terms, this means that you may not be able to get the entire action figure in focus in one photograph.  But, there are work around to get past this limitation, image stacking.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The specs say there is a macro mode that will let you focus 2" away in the wide end of the telephoto and 1 foot at the tele end. Try that mode.

Announcements