cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot SX220 HS / Memory Card error

akshirajpal
Apprentice

Hey, 

I bought a secondhand Canon Powershot SX220 HS and installed a new Micro SD card with an adapter. The SD card is readable on my PC, however, the camera shows a memory card error every time. What should I do? I can't access the format options through the menu even though it is there but it won't let me choose it. 

2 REPLIES 2

normadel
Authority
Authority

Your mistake was buying a micro SD card and adapter. Many, many folks on here say to NOT use micro SD cards with adapters. Cameras just may not work well with them. Only use standard SD cards.

Also, what size card is it? Cards of too-large capacity will not work. What that capacity is depends on the camera. 8, 16, 32 GB cards should work fine, and hold A LOT of images.  And using very large cards, even if they work, is not a great idea. It is too tempting to save a lot of stuff on one card, risking total loss if the card gets damaged or corrupted.

Use multiple cards. Rotate them in the camera. Loss of one is not total loss. Best practice is to move photos to a computer or flash drive for storage. Format card in the camera regularly.

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello akshirajpal,

I agree with normadel. Try using a standard sized SD card. The camera is not compatible with microSD cards by development. 

Announcements