cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot G5x Mark II - video file cannot be read when moved to laptop (Windows 10)

MaynJune
Apprentice

Hi! Has anyone experienced issues with transferring videos from your G5x to computers? I have a Thinkpad (Windows 10) and after i dragged my videos to a computer folder, two out of the eight videos cannot be opened.

The error message says: ”This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt."

I have already deleted the videos in my camera so cannot recover them anymore...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello MaynJune,

The fact that the other 6 videos play fine on the computer leads me to believe that the other 2 have been corrupted somehow, unfortunately. Just to be sure, make sure that the files are .MP4 files on the computer that you're trying to open. That's the video format that the PowerShot G5 X Mark II records in. If so, you can try downloading some digital image recovery software. Canon does not have any such software, but there are several available for these types of issues.

SanjeedDhBD
Contributor

I have the same problem perhaps, more serious. I use a Powershot G5X for casual photography. Love the camera. However, whenever I try to upload images to my desktop computer from the memory card, it reads and shows only the still images files - never the video files!!!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Announcements