cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G7X Mark III - Electronic Shutter Option

nlynchard
Apprentice

Canon G7X Mark III

Hi Community, I'm looking for a little electronic shutter settings help.

---

Short Summary : I need the G7X Mk III to shoot on (and stay on) high speed continuous using electronic shutter instead of mechanical like RAW Burst but allowing me to change other camera settings. The G7X Mk II seemed to do this easily. Please help.

---

I previously owned the G7X Mark II, and would often take continuous shots at concerts - the G7X Mark II (as well as the Sony RX100 VII - which I cannot get to take better pictures despite the specs being way better) takes these using what appears to be electronic shutter (no sound) and allows for setting changes. The GX7 Mark III, however, seems to only use the electronic shutter for burst shots where all the other settings are fixed, and, with continuous shooting, uses the mechanical shutter (which, of course, makes a clicking shutter sound).

It also seems that I have to switch the shutter back and forth when I switch from RAW burst to continuous - as, after using RAW burst, it defaults back to single mechanical shutter for all other types of shooting; so, then, I have to change it back to continuous each time. It also, if memory serves, seems to go back to single shutter after using continuous shutter for one set of shots. I feel like I must be **bleep**ing something up as this is super annoying.

Is there some setting scheme on the G7X Mark III that will mirror the style of the Mark II such that I can use continuous shooting while using the electronic shutter?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

From notes found on page 151 in the User Manual regarding the electronic shutter:

"Continuous shooting and flash photography are not available."

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

nlynchard
Apprentice

Thanks for pointing this out.  Wow. Why on earth would Canon do this?  It just seems like a silly thing to get rid of, and really damages my ability to take fast photos at shows - the mechanical clicking is just too obnoxious.  Oh well. I guess that answers that.  Thanks for taking the time to point this out, Ricky. I really appreciate it.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements