cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G7X Mark 2 video auto darkening problem

Scubadave16
Apprentice

So I use the camera almost exclusively for underwater photos.  When I try to shoot video with the Canon it automatically darkens.  I use LED video lights and the brighter I turn them the camera viewscreen seems to automatically darken after a second or two.   I tend to "force" exposures to bring out colors so I want the screen a bit brighter than the camera "thinks" it should be.  I have changed the settings and turned off the ND filter and auto lightening functions.  What am i missing?  not that it matters, but the video lights are Light and Motion Gobe lights. 

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What settings have you changed? Have you tried adjusting exposure compensation? If it is viewscreen only have you tried to turn off Exp. Sim?

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for reply.  I have no issues at all with still photos.  Its only with video.  

The only settings that seemed relevant to what Im seeing were the ND (neutral density) filter which i turned off with no effect. 

I also turned off the Auto Lightening Optimizer. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The function table at the back of the manual says that Expo Sim applies to video, too.

well it wasn't exactly the solution to the problem, but you pointed me in the right direction and it now appears to do what i wanted, so THANKS!  I will have to wait until the next scuba trip to find if it works

Announcements