cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G7X II Camera Window Firmware Update missing XML with downloaded firmware file

ma5e
Apprentice

Canon G7X II

Windows 10

I'm attempting to perform a firmware upgrade using Camera Window DC.

I have downloaded the firmware from: https://www.canon.com.au/support/sims-content?pid=6e9ea878b79e4284bb584991d921e9cc&cid=CF8A1026A40B4...

Extracting the zip I have the firmware file: PS_G7XMK2_1010.FI2, and a folder of instruction PDFs.

I use CameraWindow DC:

Capture1.PNG

On clicking Update, I point to the firmware file:

Capture2.PNG

I then receive an error about a missing XML file:

Capture3.PNG

I understand I could use a card reader for this (as I'm on Windows 10, Win 10 will recognise the Camera as a device rather than drive, and unable to copy and paste the firmware file to the SD card) however has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to fix/get the XML?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

So you extracted the file, but now it states missing .xml.  This is interesting. 

This issue appears to be related to the Camera Window application.  It should work, but something isn't happy.

I'd forego this and use the SD card method.  In W10, your camera should be listed as a device, but its SD card should be browse-able like any other "USB Mass Storage" device allowing you to copy the .FI2" file to the root of your SD card. 

If this is not possible on your camera/computer, I'd grab an SD card reader or use another machine.  Then follow up with Canon and see what they have to say.  Their instructions do not mention using Camera Window,  so the feature should work, unless abandoned.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

So you extracted the file, but now it states missing .xml.  This is interesting. 

This issue appears to be related to the Camera Window application.  It should work, but something isn't happy.

I'd forego this and use the SD card method.  In W10, your camera should be listed as a device, but its SD card should be browse-able like any other "USB Mass Storage" device allowing you to copy the .FI2" file to the root of your SD card. 

If this is not possible on your camera/computer, I'd grab an SD card reader or use another machine.  Then follow up with Canon and see what they have to say.  Their instructions do not mention using Camera Window,  so the feature should work, unless abandoned.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey Rick,

Thanks - a friend happened to have an SD card reader and I was able to upgrade the firmware no problem.

At least this should help anyone else who has the same issue.

That doesn't help. It is still looking for the xml file.

Unfortunately I can't use the SD card method to update the firmware...I have a G7X Mark II that doesn't boot except USB is working and I manage to take picture using USB commands only. I highly suspect that this camera has a broken firmware and I'm searching ways to update it without using the menu (cause the screen remains off and buttons doesn't work)

I guess my only option available is using the CameraWindow app but I have the same issue as described above.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In general, if a file is compressed or zipped, it must be extracted before attempting to run, install or upgrade.  Trying to run an application from a compressed folder will not work.  Files although present could be reported as missing.

Additionally, I am not sure flashing FW on a non-functioning camera is advisable, or if it would work.  I believe it will require service from Canon, and this would be my first recommendation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements