cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G11 fixable/worth fixing?

JediBonas
Apprentice

I LOVE my G11 but it just died on me (of course while on vacation) and I'm not sure if price-wise trying to get it fixed would be worth it.  It started with pictures showing up almost completly white (looking exactly like overexposed film, you can just make out some spots of darker colors).  I turned it off, let it rest, turned it back on and it would look fine for a few minutes and then start the white overexposed pics again.  Then the screen went black and if I try to take a picture it comes out black.  I know it's not the screen because when I review my pics I can see them fine (but the white and black ones show up as just a white or black screen).  Any ideas or time to move to a new camera.  I got the G11 right when it came out in 2007 (if I'm remembering correctly) so no warrenty.  Is the G15 or even 16 something I should be thinking about?  I had a hard time finding a camera I was happy with before I got the G11, I want to make sure if I do get a new camera the pictures are crisp, clear and vivid and don't want to assume just because the G15/16 is new that is is better.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi JediBonas!

Thank you for posting!

The PowerShot G15 and G16 are great cameras that offer many upgrades from your current model.  However, this does not mean that your PowerShot G11 cannot be repaired.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.  They will send you an estimate prior to working on the camera, so you can decide if that is the way you want to go from that point.

I also want to make you aware of another alternative, the Canon Loyalty Program.  The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My G11 just went down.  Got it out to check something, found the screen working sort of, a mess, kind of like a bright color negative. Guessing that the connections through the articulation are damaged, and now trying to get it fixed.  I'd consider a newer model, but I need the full articulation that Canon doesn't seem to want users to have anymore, but which we find very, very useful.  Any guesses what it should cost to fix?  If it is the screen itself, some place charges like $33 for that part.

@rondtroy wrote:

My G11 just went down.  Got it out to check something, found the screen working sort of, a mess, kind of like a bright color negative. Guessing that the connections through the articulation are damaged, and now trying to get it fixed.  I'd consider a newer model, but I need the full articulation that Canon doesn't seem to want users to have anymore, but which we find very, very useful.  Any guesses what it should cost to fix?  If it is the screen itself, some place charges like $33 for that part.

Contact Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements