cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Lines

DiamondDoll
Contributor

Recently I purchased the Canon PowerShot SX420 IS.  I went to take some test shots and noticed some faint blue lines running vertically through the picture.  I need to take a “How to” course and finish reading the online manual but this problem can’t wait, just in case this camera is defective, I have a short window to return it.  Does anyone know what could be causing these lines?  This is my first Canon and I only hope I did not make a mistake in choosing this brand.  

Thank you,

Madonna

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Madonna:
Before I address this specific issue, but I need to make a couple of comments.
1. I am curious why you have only a short window to return the camera - is it new or second-hand?  If new, reputable dealers will support their product for a reasonable amount of time.  The challenge comes when people buy off the web, from grey market suppliers where one has to rely on their good will.  Canon have very reasonable warranties on all gear sold through valid sources, so you don't need to worry as long as  you didn't go cheap on grey market product or used.

2. Canon is the biggest supplier of camera gear on the planet and has been so for decades.   That is not an easily-earned title and speaks to both the quality of their gear and their support of it.

As regards your specific issue: perhaps upload an image with showing what is happening along with the EXIF settings: focal length, f/stop, shutter speed and ISO values.  Also, please advise if you have shot with the camera just as purchased or if you have made any configuration changes.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your reply.  For the picture of the problem, I’ll need to attach this in a separate email as soon as I get home.  

1.  No changes of any kind were ever made to this camera.

2.  I DID BUY this online BUT it was from an authorized CANON dealer and camera store.  But their location is out of state, so taking it there which was their first recommendation is not going to be feasible.  

3.  This camera was not purchased for an inexpensive amount.  I believe I paid the going rate but I do know that every single dealer close by & even other online sellers did not have this in stock.  Not sure if this camera is obsolete or soon to be...

I’ll be back soon with picture and more data...

Thank you,

Madonna

Well, the camera was released in 2016, which makes it pretty ancient by camera technology standards, so it's not surprising that you don't see many about.  I would, if possible, return it to the vendor for a refund or swap, given its age.  If that is not feasible, then see if you can get it fixed.  You seem to have been in contact with Canon support already.  Did they confirm that it would be covered when you engaged with them?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"I am curious why you have only a short window to return the camera "

It may be the difference between returning to the store for a swap or sending the camera in and having Canon repair under warranty.

Follow Trevor's recommendation and post a file directly out of camera so we have all the info and also a cellphone shot of the camera LCD so we can see the issue you are describing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements