cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some iP8720 Issues

Tom-in-PGH
Apprentice

Greetings to the Board - this is my 1st post here. A couple of years ago I bought one of these printers for a couple of reasons: it feeds paper "straight" from a rear "standing" supply, so I can more easily feed card stock. And it was recommended by my paper source (Red River). Things went well for the most part. The only real annoyance was that - whenever I fed something thicker, like an envelope, the leading edge always came out with an ink smudge. It just seemed that I should not have to run a roller clean each time I wanted to print an envelope. I also have a Canon MX922 3-in-1 (which conveniently uses the same ink tanks), and I can feed envelopes OK through it - so that's what I've been doing.

Back to the iP8720. When I print Excel spreadsheets now, the cell borders now come out almost comically "squiggled." And when I print a normal Word document, some lines look normal, others look BOLD and still others come out incomplete. I've run both the normal and deep cleaning apps, as well as the automated and manual alignment ones. Nothing is correcting these issues.

I think I picked this printer up online for under $100.00. Is it time to throw in the towel and get a replacement, or is there something I haven't tried yet that may get things back to normal?

Oh, and full disclosure: I'm using after-market ink tanks from LD Products (but no issues with my MX922).

TIA,

Tom

2 REPLIES 2

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Tom-in-PGH,

I recommend performing an Encoder cleaning. You can click here for detailed instructions. 

If that does not resolve the issue, please let us know what version of Windows or Macintosh is installed on your computer and we can check the printer driver.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks. I ended up calling Canon tech support and spent about an hour on the phone with a helpful guy. We did a bunch of things - including cleaning the timing belt & printer head. This improved the "squiggley" lines somewhat, but I'm still having some of the same issues. When I print a nozzle check page, all looks good, except for the PGBK grid at the top of the sheet. This looks like someone dragged something acroiss it, from left-to-right. My Word documents are still not printing right, either.

Hard to believe it may be a corrupted printer driver, but - at this point - I'm willing to try just about anything.

Thanks.

Announcements