cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF656Cdw scanner not scanning to pdf

tenacity
Contributor

I had to reinstall my mf656cdw. Printing works fine. Scanning from the lcd panel works, but when I select color scan, it scans as a .jpg, not a pdf. 

In MF scan utility, color scan data format is set to .pdf. I checked the remote UI, also says scan is set to pdf.

tenacity_0-1727108742976.png

tenacity_1-1727108965019.png

Also, if I try to scan from MF Scan utility, it says it cannot communicate with the scanner, even though it's on and connected to the network. I prefer to use the lcd panel, but mentioned this just in case it is relevant.

Any help is appreciated. I use the scanner daily, so this is driving me crazy. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Yes, that's exactly what it is. 🙂 Each interface (device) has a unique Mac address.  Each device has two interfaces, a wired interface, and a wireless interface, so each network adapter has its own MAC address.  Thank you. That helps clarify why you had two listings.  

That data has to be written somewhere in the program files folder, application data, or the registry.  You could probably contact Canon support. They'd be able to tell you as well.  

If you go that route please post the fix as it will probably be helpful for others.

**Edit spelling

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

tenacity
Contributor

After messing with this some more, I discovered part of the problem. In MF Scan Utility, 2 scanners are listed, even though there is only one:

tenacity_0-1727206273355.png

So now my question is: how do I get rid of the second scanner? There is only one imaging device in the device manager, one listed under printers and scanners and one connected to the network. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MF Scan Utility, but the second ghost scanner remains.

Additionally, the scanner seems to lose track of my computer quite frequently - I have to turn it off and on again to reconnect. My computer can see the scanner, but the scanner can't see the computer. 

Gotta say, don't think I will buy another Canon laser. Have had too many issues with this.

Open te MF Scan Utility, there should be a Network Scanner Settings selection somewhere in a menu (I'm using a Mac -- yours looks like Windows).  If you find the Network Scanner Settings you should be able to delete what's there and re-add the Canon.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Good work figuring out the issue.  That was indeed the problem.  Its not caused by your Canon device.  You have or had two instances of the device installed (different interfaces).  One is likely a wired connection, the other is for wireless.  This might happen if you changed the connection (interface type) without removing the previous connection method.

I'm sure there are explanations for the other behaviors which is likely a result of your network configuration.  Let me know if you'd like to explore them further.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks-

I've only ever had a wireless installation - I don't have a lan connection. Do you know if there's any way to get rid of the second device? It doesn't show up anywhere else.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Let me see if I can find it.

One place to check.

Look in the printer's properties and see if multiple interfaces are listed.  

shadowsports_0-1727296488351.png

If you see 2, close the MF Utility, delete the port and restart the system.  Then open the MF Utility and check the drp down for 2 listings.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Still looking.  The MF Utility has a Scanner Selector:  Which is why I thought it might be tied to the interface.

shadowsports_1-1727297529718.png

Its buried somewhere.  😂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for your help!

I tried multiple times to launch the scanner selector, which is listed in my apps, but it just spins for a few seconds and nothing ever loads.

I did have 2 ports listed, wondered if that had something to do with this earlier. I deleted the second port and restarted, but still have 2 devices listed in the MF Scan utility. And both of the scanners are set to scan to jpgs again, so I corrected that.

I'm wondering if the second scanner listed was the first one I installed. When I first purchased the printer, it didn't work, and Canon sent me a replacement. Don't understand why I wouldn't be able to get rid of it...

Thanks again for your help!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Yes, that's exactly what it is. 🙂 Each interface (device) has a unique Mac address.  Each device has two interfaces, a wired interface, and a wireless interface, so each network adapter has its own MAC address.  Thank you. That helps clarify why you had two listings.  

That data has to be written somewhere in the program files folder, application data, or the registry.  You could probably contact Canon support. They'd be able to tell you as well.  

If you go that route please post the fix as it will probably be helpful for others.

**Edit spelling

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I found 7 registry keys with the same number as the original printer. I'll back up the registry and delete them. Will post back with results.

Announcements