cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw how to set up FAX

DJG
Apprentice

I read the reviews for this printer so I was aware that setup was not intuitive and might require assistance.  I was on hold with Customer Service for 1 hour and 45 minutes before I had to disconnect to attend to other obligations.  I cannot find anything online that tells me to do anything differently than what I have done.

The only thing I may have not followed to the letter is this: I left my answering machine connected the same way it was for my Maxify that stopped working.  The instructions imply that I am supposed to connect the answering machine directly to the printer/fax.  I do not want my answering machine in the room where I have my printer.  I can't understand why a newer (and more expensive) printer is LESS versatile than an older and less expensive model. 

Can anyone help me get my fax to work?  It appears to SEND faxes (although I have no idea if the fax I sent was received), but it does not receive faxes.

And, to reiterate what others said in the reviews that I read, the instructions, including online videos, are NOT clear and basically lousy.  All the instructions should be tested by NON computer savvy people before companies decide to put them out for public consumption, and maybe the designers need to get some assistance from people who don't spend their lives playing wtih technology.  Rant over.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The printers instruction manual provides specific information on connection and FAX setup.

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-setup-set_fax.html

Deciding which FAX receive mode to use:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-setup-set_fax-decid_usg.html#0137_...

And finally..  A section specifically on what to do if you have an answering machine. 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-setup-set_fax-telecone.html 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

@DJG wrote:

I do not want my answering machine in the room where I have my printer. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is not something we can solve or help with I'm afraid.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello DJG,

If you are using the MF644Cdw with an answering machine, I would suggest putting the fax in answering machine mode using the steps provided HERE. When in answering machine mode, the fax machine listens to the recorded messages on the answering machine for any fax tones. Depending on how the phone lines are wired in your house, the fax machine might be able to hear the tones from the answering machine in the other room but if it can't, I would suggest connecting it to the back of the fax machine.

To check if a fax transmission went through, you can check the log using the steps in the link provided HERE.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

LeeRadBzm
Apprentice

Not only is the manual mysterious to this neophyte, but the offered help was just as frustrating.

Referred me to the manual....Right back to the source of the problem a manual that is  ?.  This techno dummy  needs to a   lead by the nose solution...Oh I might add  some of the video instructions assume a lot of pre knowledge too.  Oh well back to the geek squad I guess. My 89$ ink jet was a no brainer to set up the fax.

Thanks for joining the conversation, LeeRadBzm!  If you need one-on-one help, our imageCLASS support team is just a phone call away.  They're open Monday through Friday at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

We look forward to your call!

Announcements