cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF642Cdw Have to choose paper every time I print something

GregnSara
Apprentice

I have a Canon MF642CDW printer with touch screen. It's set up on wifi. Every time I print something I have to physically go to the printer and pick the paper size before it will print. I usually use a laptop or my phone to print. For instance, today I was printing 3 different jobs using my laptop for all of them. Every time I hit the print button, the printer gave me the usual beep, wanting me to choose the paper size/tray. There must be some setting where I can choose to use the same tray every time  automatically without having to make a trip to the printer isn't there? I've yet to be able to figure it out though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

I own an MF743Cdw. The is a way to choose the default paper source. The exact path escapes me, but I can check it out in the morning. Outside of that, if there is a programming abnormality, factory defaulting the printer should resolve that.

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Oops, I completely forgot about this topic. Will check the path in the AM.

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Try this:

Menu->Function Settings->Common->Paper Feed Settings->(etc.)

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello GregnSara,

That issue will come up if the paper setting on the printer does not match the paper setting on the computer or the incorrect driver is being used. If you are printing from your computer and you have the paper type for Letter Plain 1 and the paper tray on the printer is set to A4 plain 1 or another paper type/size, that message will appear on the printer. 

You can try setting the paper size and type for the paper trays to make sure they match the paper size and type settings that you use from the computer. If that does not resolve the issue, you can try installing the recommended driver from our Canon USA support site.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements