cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF634Cdw stops communicating

denlaw1217
Apprentice

OK, I have tried everything posted here--for months--nothing, I repeat, nothing works. My 632C/634 Image class scanner inexplicably stops communicating with my MacBook Pro. Mind you, my circa 2012 Brother 2360DW never does that. I can even ask this very same Canon machine about supply levels AND the scanner still doesn't work IMMEDIATELY AFTER I print a document with it--so spare me the "its your network/computer." Before I gleefully pound a long-handled 10 pound sledge to this $400 piece of junk, any last minute reprieves?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Before we can offer assistance, can you please answer the following questions for us?

What is the printer connected to and how?  USB, Ethernet, Wireless?

What version and build of Mac OS you are using the printer with?  

What drivers did you install?

If your printer is connected to a wireless network, please tell us about the hardware.  Brand / model, ISP issued modem / router, mesh system, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WiFi
Modem is ISP issued CenturyLink Model C4000XG connected to the Internet via fiberoptic cable.
2019 MacBook Air running the Sonoma 14.5 OS
Printer is CNMF 632C/634C-Airprint using Driver Version 3.0

Once it disconnects, the only way I can seem to get it to work again is to reboot the MacBook and/or the printer. If that does not work right away, put a piece of paper in the document feeder, turn on the scanner and sometime in the next hour or so, it will suddenly start up and scan. This is wonderful color printer. Strangely, the fax feature also shows a green light sitting in idle. But fax machines are so last century, I never set it up.

Might sound silly, but how far away from your wireless connection is the printer?

Also, you'll want to install the Canon drivers from HERE.

It is pretty far away--say 100 feet in a separate office on my property. We bought an extender but even though it is the same password, you need to manually identify the extender and enter the password. What I don't understand is that if the connection breaks, once it is back up, my $100 Brother L2360DW printer that I bought in 2013 comes right back and starts printing. The Brother sits right next to the Canon in my office.

I've been told that scanning requires a strong wireless signal because of the amount of data it sends over the network. Your older unit may not have that requirement—obviously, we can't speak for how other hardware works. 

If I were you, I'd call our support folks to see if they can help you narrow down what might be causing the issue and give you a potential resolution to get you up and running!

They're at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) Monday through Friday. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements