cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF476Cdw - Firmware Update via Wi-Fi

Harakiri
Apprentice

I am having precisely the same problem with my MF746Cx. WiFi is super strong, and firmware updates are only with antique cable connections possible. The latest firmware update is done. 

Seems to be a common problem, so a fix on the forum would be helpful. Thanks to everyone.

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Upgrading FW over wireless while possible on many devices, is not best practice.  It can fail and brick a device.  FW updates should always be done using a cable, USB, ethernet, etc where possible.  A wireless connection is not reliable and introduces a potential point of failure.  I have never understood why so many router manufacturers offer the option to upgrade firmware using what is essentially an unreliable connection method.  Its convenient, but if there is an interruption in the broadcast, the flash you get might be corrupt.  The same goes for FW updates on your camera.  Put the .fir file on the card you are inserting in the camera.  One less thing to go wrong.  Wireless can work 100 times, until the one time it doesn't.  This might be one reason why Canon doesn't offer it as an option.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements