cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frustrated - mf4890dw ans osx mavericks

tomkinsg
Apprentice

oh man, these macs tick me off.  instaled imageclass mf4890dw on o wlan ok.  wprinted from several windows devices ok. 

trying to install the driver on to a osx 10.9 mavericks systems (mavericks = bollocks?) and i get some meage saying 

Add Printer

If you are using an old version of the driver, your printer may have been deleted.

If the printer you are using has been deleted, add it again.

See Printer Driver Guide for more information on how to add printers.

like what does that mean? its says nothing, its meaningless. like i run through this again and i get the same sodding message. 

the driver says it supports osx 10.5.2 and later.  i am on 10.9. 

is there any hope for osx?

1 REPLY 1

Patrice
Whiz

Hi tomkinsg!

I know that installing the printer can be frustrating and I will be glad to assist you.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, then adding the printer to the print queue by following the instructions below:

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Select the printer you are using -> click [-] icon.

Note:

Delete all print queues set from the driver you are deleting.

3. Delete the folders and files for the driver you are deleting.

• [System Volume]/Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2
  • [System Volume]/Library/LaunchAgents/jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist
  • Mac OS X 10.5 and later:
    [System Volume]/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/CNTD***Z*2*.ppd.gz
    Where *** indicates a character string that represents the printer model, and *2* indicates a character string that represents the corresponding language.

Important

If you delete a "PPD.gz" file other than that of the printer model you want to delete, the printer driver may not work correctly.

Note:

If the [Authenticate] dialog box is displayed, enter the administrators name and password -> click [OK].

4. Restart your computer and empty the Trash Bin.

Uninstallation is complete.

Next, download and reinstall the driver from the Canon USA website by clicking on the following link:

imageCLASS MF4890dw - Drivers and Software

Finally, add the printer back to the print queue by following the instructions below:

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Turn the printer on -> connect the printer to a computer with a USB cable.

3. Click the [+] icon.

The printer registration dialog box is displayed.

4. Click [IP].

5. Select the printer you are going to use.

6. Select [Select Printer Software] from [Use] -> select the MF4800 Series UFRII driver.

7. Click [Add].

8. Confirm that the printer has been added in the [Printing] pane of the [Print & Fax] dialog box -> close the [Printers & Scanners] dialog box.

9. Next, print a document.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements