cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless ImageClass printer not found by wired computer

bkuhlmann
Apprentice

I have an ImageClass Color MF743CDW which is connected wirelessly to the network. I am able to print to it via my phone and computer when connected via wifi. When my computer is hard wired to the network it error out though. My assumption is that it cannot find the printer on the wired network. How can I fix this?

7 REPLIES 7

normadel
Authority
Authority

You only have ONE network. A device CONNECTS to it by wire or by wi-fi. A connection is a connection. They are BOTH Ethernet connections.

If the computer connects by an Ethernet cable, and you've verified that (doing any online activity, like email or surfing the Web), cable is more reliable than a wi-fi connection.

Does your printer's setup require choosing between wi-fi and cable connection?

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that it is one network, which is why I find it strange. The printer has both wired and wireless option but I want to use wireless.

normadel
Authority
Authority

You say it works wireless, so what's the problem?

Did you look at printer settings?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

He said he could print if the device he is printing from are connected to the network wirelessly.

What is the IP address of the printer?

What is the IP address of the computer when its connected via ethernet?

No sure?  Check you router.  Admin portal, connected devices.

Once you have this information, try...

pinging the printer from a command prompt

and/or

opening the devices print server in a browser.  Open a browser and enter the IP of the device.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Bkuhlmann,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. What specific errors do you get when you try to connect through the wired network?
  3. Are you connecting your computer directly to your router with an ethernet cable or is it connecting to a hub/switch?

bkuhlmann
Apprentice

Hi Hector,

Thanks for your help. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise edition. My computer is wired directly to the switch, as is the router (from a different wire). The error just says "Error printing from MF743cdw". But if I remove the ethernet from my laptop and connect to the WIFI it prints with no issues.

Thanks,

Ben

If you connect via wifi, the computer would talk directly to your router without the switch. If you connect to a switch that is connected to the router and you lose connection to the printer, it will usually point to a configuration issue with the router and switch. In this situation, I would suggest checking the switches settings to make sure everything is configured properly with the switch's manufacturer. You can also try contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with checking the connection to see what is going on.

Announcements