Did you mean: 

Two MF227dw Printers Do Not Print PDF Files On macOS

kurttodoroff
Apprentice

Apple Mac Studio 13,1  (office)  (2022)

macOS 13.2.1

Apple iMac 17,1  (home)  (2015)

macOS 12.6.3

Canon imageCLASS MF227dw  (two printers; one connected to each Mac/iMac; purchased both in 2016)

Drivers up to date

Ethernet connection to Mac/iMac for both printers

I use Preview on both Macs.  I have not attempted to use Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Both printers printed PDF files, and all other document formats, until early 2022.  Subsequently, neither printer prints PDF files.

Both printers print all other document formats that resides on the Mac/iMac.

A Samsung color laser printer is connected to the iMac through Ethernet.  It prints every format of document that resides on the iMac, including PDF.

I select the print command from the File menu, or, the key combination Command-P.  I click the appropriate button (OK, Print, et cetera).  The printer appears in the dock.  Then, it disappears.  The printer never activates and prints.

I have not found a solution on the Canon forum, or, on other forums, or, in general Internet searches.

Thank you.

Kurt
4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Kurttodoroff,

If you are unable to print PDF files and do not get any specific error messages, I would suggest removing the printer from printers and scanners and then reinstalling the MF Printer Driver & Utilities for Mac V10.11.9 from our support site.

1. Click on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners.
  2. In the printer list, you can use the - to removed any connections for the MF277.
  3. Download the MF Printer driver from our support site.
  4. Once the download is complete, you can double click on the download to begin the install.
  5. In printers and scanners, click the + to add a printer.
  6. Highlight the MF644 in the printer list and check the USE box near the add button to make sure it shows the model name for the printer.
  7. Click add.

Once the printer is added back to the list, you can try printing again to see if it works or if you get any errors that point out what the issue might be. If you still do not get any errors, I would suggest printing a PDF file from another program to see if it works or if it gives you any additional information.

Hello, Hector.

Thank you for your reply.

These newer software drivers require Rosetta2.  I operate my Mac without Rosetta2, therefore, I am unable to implement your suggestion.

Does Canon intend to release a software driver that runs natively on Apple Silicon?

Thank you.

Kurt

Hello Kurttodoroff,

The MF printer drivers and Utilities will install on Macs with Apple silicon and Intel processors. If you are running into problems with the install, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with any driver install issues and check what is going on with the PDF printing.

Hello, Hector.

The system displays this, after I double-click on the installation file.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 21.11.16.jpg

Thank you.

Kurt
Announcements