cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared printer only prints after loca job

GRPC
Apprentice

I have a printer set as shared and it's connected to a PC I use as a server running windows 8.1.

I can print from the computer all the time, but I can't print from another computer until I do one print job from the computer it's connected to, then all other computers can print to this shared printer.

I shut down the server every night, and this same problem happens every day. I'm not sure if something times out, so far it seems that once a print job is done from the server PC, all other computers can print from that point until a reboot..

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, GRPC!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

GRPC
Apprentice

As I said, the computer is running Windows 8.1, and I'm pretty sure that's where the problem is.

The printer is a Canon image class mf  227 dw.

This problem doesn't happen all the time, today I tested it and it printed from a different PC, but yesterday when my daughter tried to print, she couldn't, so I remoted into the server, printed one test print, then it worked for all computers in the house...

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

The issue looks like there is a problem with the computer sending jobs to the printer. You can try resetting the service that sends jobs to the printer.

1. You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in services.msc and click OK.
  2. Scroll through the list and highlight the printer spooler service.
  3. Click on the option to restart in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

The MF227dw has the ability to connect to your network so you would not need to share the printer to use it from other computers on the network. You can connect the printer to your network using the steps in the link HERE. Once the printer is connected to your network, you can download and install the drivers for the printer using the link HERE.

I'm sorry but I never was notified through email that there was a response to my post.

"The issue looks like there is a problem with the computer sending jobs to the printer."
If the problem was the computer not sending jobs to the printer then it would not print at all, but as I stated in my post, I have no problem printing from the connected computer, just not from shared computers until after I run one job from the connected computer. .

"The MF227dw has the ability to connect to your network"
That is not what this thread is about, for reasons I don't feel like elaborating, I connected the printer to my server and would like to use the shared service to print from other computers, not the network.

Just for clarification, how would you like Canon USA to help with this issue that seems to be related to Windows Printer Sharing? 

Announcements