cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan to Email, Shared folder mystery for imageCLASS MF656Cdw

mreg
Contributor

I have no idea how to set up Scanning from the LCD panel on a Mac.  The User Guide, as well as the online manual, give all their directions for Windows, even though the manuals are listed for the Mac O/S. 

Any pointers?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Scanning and Sending to a Shared Folder on a Computer (macOS) 

I can help with mail configuration as well. 😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mreg
Contributor

Thanks.  I actually figured out the email.

The description for the shared folder is several Mac O/S versions old, and I cannot get it to work.  I can set up the shared folder without a problem, but it is not clear what to enter into the printer's web UI Host name and Folder Path.  Assuming that the computer is 192.168.abc.def, and the shared folder is scans, I am unsure whether the Host Name and/or Folder Path should be 192.168.abc.def, 192.168.abc.def/scans, 192.168.abc.def\scans, smb://192.168.abc.def, smb:\\192.168.abc.def, smb://192.168.abc.def/scans, or smb:\\192.168.abd.def\scans, etc.

I have to say that Canon uses a pretty primitive way of handling this.  Most printer brands simply hook the printer into their software driver to perform these printer-to-computer functions.  This is like going back in time.

mreg
Contributor

So, I think I have gotten the correct path info.  The machine seems to be taking the time so send the scan to my shared folder, but I ultimately get an error 806 because it says I lack permission/access to the shared folder.  I don't know why.  The shared folder on the Mac is set up correctly, I enter my Mac computer name, and have tried it with or without my Mac password (the process comes to an abrupt stop with an error WITH the password entered, and goes further without the password, which I don't understand either, but I end up with an access error anyway.)

Any ideas?

Announcements