cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW IMAGECLASS MF273DW connects to network but my devices cannot see it

ctucker33
Contributor

I have a new MF273DW printer that can successfully connect to my network, but my devices cannot see/find it to print.  I am running windows11 (but even my iPhone gets a connection error when trying to send a print message to it) and here is what I have tried so far:

• confirmed printer is successfully connected to same network as the devices
  • tried autodetecting printer from computer
  • manually by IP address
  • installed updated drivers
  • restored factory settings on printer

I am at a loss as to how to get this printer connected to a device.  All devices are using the same network that the printer is connected to.  This should not be this difficult.

Note, it will work (obviously) if I have a wired connection to it, but will not if I try and use the wireless setting.

29 REPLIES 29

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Just for clarification. If you connect the MF273DW to the router using an Ethernet cable, everything works fine...but when you try to connect the unit to the router using Wi-Fi, it synchronizes with the router, but none of the devices see the unit.

Looking at the steps already taken, it looks like everything that I would have suggested has already been done. My thought would be to contact Canon Support as there may be an issue with the Wi-Fi portion of the MF273DW which would require a deeper dive than what can be done in this forum.

Sorry, I meant if i connect my computer directly to the printer via a usb cable.  I didn't try connecting the printer to the network via an ethernet cable.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Let's start with the basics. Are you running any third party antivirus?  

What is the IP address of the printer?

What is the IP address of the computer?

Open a command prompt. Can you ping the IP of the printer from the computer. 

Open a web browser, enter the printers IP address.   Does its web server display?

Is your wireless network using any extenders or a mesh system In conjunction with your ISPs modem or router?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Are you running any third party antivirus?  I have stupid McAfee that was free with my desktop computer that I did not renew.

What is the IP address of the printer? 192.168.1.21

What is the IP address of the computer? 192.168.1.249

Open a command prompt. Can you ping the IP of the printer from the computer. NO.  I can ping other devices that are connected to the network though.

Open a web browser, enter the printers IP address.   Does its web server display? No.  Cannot be reached.

Is your wireless network using any extenders or a mesh system In conjunction with your ISPs modem or router?  I don't think so.  We are in an air bnb in transition to our final destination.  But the house we sold used google home (mesh) and it didn't work there either.

Another piece of info is my iphone can see the printer.  I can select it to print, but it comes back with an error "unable to connect"

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've seen a lot of posts from others who have had issues with McAfee or AVAST installed.  There is nothing wrong with Windows Security (which is included with your OS).  Continuing to run an expired version of AV offers little value once its no longer receiving virus definitions.  I'd remove it, restart and try again.  Something is blocking communication on the network I'll have some other suggestions, but start with getting rid of McAfee for now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks!  So I did that with my last computer and then I couldn't download any files because it said I didn't have a program to scan it before it downloaded (from Gmail).  Is there a way to remove it (and I would love to because I hate McAfee) without experiencing the same problem I had before?

Could you temporarily disable McAfee in order to be able to download the files? 🤔

That was what the original problem was.  When McAfee wasn't installed or available, I couldn't download my files because there wasn't "a virus scanning device" to scan before downloading any files.

I'm running Windows Security rather than aftermarket software. It hasn't caused problems loading printer drivers. 🙂

click here to view the gallery
Announcements