cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify MB5350 is stuck in turning on and off

moonlight142
Apprentice

It’s endless repetition of showing Maxify on the display and then turn off. Turn on again. Seconds later… Tried cutting off voltage but didn’t help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Magwych
Apprentice

The issue seems to be caused by the printer contacting the Canon server to check for a firmware update.
I fixed ine by blocking the printer from accessing the internet in my router. It is accessible from my wifi netwrok but it cannot get to any sites outside my wifi netwrok.
If you do not know how to do that, or do not have a router that lets you do it, try this :
Pull the powr cord from your pinter to turn it off.
Temporarily turn off your wifi router or access point, to block any access to the internet.
Put the power cord bck in and turn the printer on, it should now start up properly.
In the menu, go to Set Up -> Device Settings->Firmware Update->Update Notification Settings and set to "Off". This turns off that feature in the printer.
Quit the menu, turn the printer off.
Turn back on your wifi, when it is back up and running turn the printer back on.
In this state the rpinter will be checking for any firmware updates from Canon. If that is important to you, when you think it is safe, go back into that menu and turn it back on again 😉

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

ars
Contributor

My Maxify MB2050 is doing the same thing. Have you managed to solve the problem

juan2198
Apprentice

Seems Canon is having some kind of issue with Firmware. I have the same issue with my MB2320 when trying to help family who also has the same model with the same issue. Machine starts, spits out two pages randomly, restarts, and sometimes just gets stuck on the Maxify screen. I can access the printer webpage via IP but not much else as it does not fully startup.

Me and my father have the MB5050 with exactly the same problem.
I called Canon already. To solve the loop is to hardreset the printer. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aedPja3XL_I
(Unplug power and put back power-plug, push STOP-button directly, then also -ON-button for 2 seconds, 5 times STOP-button)

Good to know:
put out LAN-wire before power on again!, then do the hardreset. Or if connected with WiFi: put your printer OUT of the Wifi-area/router, or block router to connect with mac-adress printer (so not connected with WiFi)

But after the reset DO NOT CONNECT WITH INTERNET (LAN or WiFI) because then the printer is stuck again. The only possibility to print is to connect the printer by LAN cable DIRECTLY into the computer (which dont have internet-connection).

So Canon has a worlwide big problem and hopefully they solve with a firmware update soon!

Thank you Ron1968 and Juan2198. My MB5350 was in the same loop. The device is setup to connect to our home wifi.

Once I saw your posts, I logged into my router and denied the printer access to the internet. After its next cycle it sprang into life as though everything were fine. 

I have now set "Update notification setting" to off,  just to be sure.

It has now been good for 30 minutes and counting 🙂

Came to the same conclusion and amended my home router to block the printer macaddress from making outbound calls to the internet. Now I am not sure this is to do with a firmware update. Given the fact its affecting a number of models I think its more likely the CANON server is causing the printer reset.

This resolved the issue and I noted the firmware was at the same version.

Thanks, that really helped!

For those (like me) who are less tech savy, I simply turned off my WIFI completely before re-setting the printer as per the youtube video, then I changed the setting on the printer from WIFI to LAN and connected with an ethernet cable, printer now works and is not connected to wifi. Only problem is I can no longer print from my laptop as it doesn't have an ethernet connection! But works perfectly from the desktop 🙂  

effectrode
Apprentice

We have exactly the same problem with our Canon MB5350. Yesterday evening it started showing the text 'Maxify' on the LCD screen and would spit out a couple of sheets of blank paper and switch off, then turn on again and repeat. Hard reset by turning the machine off and on again failed to get the machine back to normal operation.

I own a Canon MB 5350 and have never had any issues with it until recently when I turn it on. After few seconds it would display on the screen that the printer was not turned off properly. Yesterday, 1/6/22, when I turned it on the LCD screen was stuck on Maxify. I was unable to turn it off from the power button unless I unplugged it. It was also pushing out blank papers. I called Canon help desk and I was told that a lot of Canon users were experiencing the same problem. I was told that as soon as Canon found a solution they would email me. It annoying. Point to note though, l am still able to print! 

Important is to take out the LAN cable OR when WiFi: block the connection in the router, before doing the hardreset.

The printer must NOT have any internetconnection to do the hardreset.

Announcements