cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify MB5350 is stuck in turning on and off

moonlight142
Apprentice

It’s endless repetition of showing Maxify on the display and then turn off. Turn on again. Seconds later… Tried cutting off voltage but didn’t help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Magwych
Apprentice

The issue seems to be caused by the printer contacting the Canon server to check for a firmware update.
I fixed ine by blocking the printer from accessing the internet in my router. It is accessible from my wifi netwrok but it cannot get to any sites outside my wifi netwrok.
If you do not know how to do that, or do not have a router that lets you do it, try this :
Pull the powr cord from your pinter to turn it off.
Temporarily turn off your wifi router or access point, to block any access to the internet.
Put the power cord bck in and turn the printer on, it should now start up properly.
In the menu, go to Set Up -> Device Settings->Firmware Update->Update Notification Settings and set to "Off". This turns off that feature in the printer.
Quit the menu, turn the printer off.
Turn back on your wifi, when it is back up and running turn the printer back on.
In this state the rpinter will be checking for any firmware updates from Canon. If that is important to you, when you think it is safe, go back into that menu and turn it back on again 😉

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

cindy98le
Apprentice

I am having a very similar issue and I tried hard resetting following the link sent above but now it just has a yellow light. I turned it back on and the issue is still happening! has anyone figured this out?! I've posted my issue as well:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Desktop-Inkjet-Printers/printer-not-responsive/td-p/373858

Have you removed your printer from the WIFI? When I connected back to the WIFI the issue happened again, printer now works but only when connected via an ethernet cable.

Magwych
Apprentice

The issue seems to be caused by the printer contacting the Canon server to check for a firmware update.
I fixed ine by blocking the printer from accessing the internet in my router. It is accessible from my wifi netwrok but it cannot get to any sites outside my wifi netwrok.
If you do not know how to do that, or do not have a router that lets you do it, try this :
Pull the powr cord from your pinter to turn it off.
Temporarily turn off your wifi router or access point, to block any access to the internet.
Put the power cord bck in and turn the printer on, it should now start up properly.
In the menu, go to Set Up -> Device Settings->Firmware Update->Update Notification Settings and set to "Off". This turns off that feature in the printer.
Quit the menu, turn the printer off.
Turn back on your wifi, when it is back up and running turn the printer back on.
In this state the rpinter will be checking for any firmware updates from Canon. If that is important to you, when you think it is safe, go back into that menu and turn it back on again 😉

Hi, this worked up until I turned my wifi back on.... I guess I can't print from wifi? 

I am sirry to say that you are going to need to work out how to conficgure your WiFi router. You need to block your printer from accessing the internet

You can not turn on wifi or connect with lan, the problem appears again.

you must block ibternet-connection in your router. Or wait for solution from Canon

Canon have now released a new firmware for all the printers that have been having the issue of the printer stuck in turning on and off. I own a Maxify MB 5350 printer. I download the firmware and follow the instructions to update the printer. Everything is working ok now. You will need a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer (windows). See the link below. 

en.canon-cna.com/support/consumer_products/product_ranges/printers/maxify/

Hello, Yesterday, June 6, I deleted all canon files from my pc and redownloaded all the software, firmware, etc from the Canon site, as if I was setting up a new printer. Still no luck. Shut off the wifi, unplugges, restarted, reset...basically everything. I just finally gave up and went a got a new printer.  I hope this does work for others, though. 

Thanks for this information. I tried it that way and now it works again! 
I did not try to update the firmware, yet. Just glad I can print again because need it badly at the moment😎

cmkessell
Apprentice

Same problem here.  I managed to stop the problem by disconnecting from the Internet (allowing the printer to boot up properly) and then setting the DNS address in the printer's network settings to a non-existent address, thus preventing it from locating the Canon website.  It now seems to work fine. 

Announcements