cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify MB5120 Random Pages Upside Down when Duplex Scanning

prunenoveggie
Apprentice

Hello,

I just purchased an MB5120 that I have been using to scan music books. I have been using the ADF for Duplex Scanning. Most of the time it turns out alright, but every once in a while the back side of certain pages will scan upside down. If I scan a stack of 50 pages (double sided), all of the pages will have the correct orientation except for 1 or 2, which will be 180 degrees off (making them appear upside down in the PDF). As I said, most of the time it works fine, but I would rather not have to look through every page to make sure the orientation is correct.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi pruneoveggie,

With the information provided adjusting a setting within the scanner software may resolve the issue. Please perform the steps below:

1. Open the CANON IJ SCAN UTILITY Program
  2. Click on SETTINGS in the bottom right corner.
  3. Click on DOCUMENT SCAN on the left side.
  4. Locate SCAN OPTIONS on the right side.
  5. Select the Plus sign (+) next to IMAGE PROCESSING SETTINGS
  6. Click on the box next to DETECT THE ORIENTATION OF TEXT DOCUMENT AND ROTATE IMAGE.
  7. In the upper left corner click on the MIDDLE icon.
  8. Click on SAVE TO PC (DOCUMENT) on the left side.
  9. Perform steps 4 - 6 again.
  10. Press OK.
  11. Perform scan again. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Page orientation does not change randomly mid-stream during continious scan operation.

Note that the ADF has a 50 page mximum limit. 

Flatbed: 8.5 x 11 (Letter); ADF - 50 Sheet Capacity
ADF: 8.5 x 14 (Legal); ADF - 10 Sheet Capacity

If this is happening, verify that the pages in question are in fact being fed into the ADF properly (orientation).  If you confirm this and can reproduce the behavior consistently, you need to contact Canon.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thanks for your response. I have not been scanning more than 50 sheets at a time (usually 30-40). The pages are all being fed into the ADF with the same orientation. The problem is that occasionally 1 or 2 pages will be scanned upside-down relative to the other side of that sheet (e.g. one side of the page will scan right-side up while the other side of that same page is scanned upside-down). I wouldn't call it consistent behavior, as it occurs randomly and infrequently. But it does mean I have to double-check every page to make sure the problem did not occur (and correct it if it did).

Does it sound like there's an issue with my printer? Is there anything I could try that might prevent this from happening? It just seems like a very strange, inconsistent problem, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thanks again!

I believe it's related exclusively to software.  The behavior isn't a hardware malfunction.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi pruneoveggie,

With the information provided adjusting a setting within the scanner software may resolve the issue. Please perform the steps below:

1. Open the CANON IJ SCAN UTILITY Program
  2. Click on SETTINGS in the bottom right corner.
  3. Click on DOCUMENT SCAN on the left side.
  4. Locate SCAN OPTIONS on the right side.
  5. Select the Plus sign (+) next to IMAGE PROCESSING SETTINGS
  6. Click on the box next to DETECT THE ORIENTATION OF TEXT DOCUMENT AND ROTATE IMAGE.
  7. In the upper left corner click on the MIDDLE icon.
  8. Click on SAVE TO PC (DOCUMENT) on the left side.
  9. Perform steps 4 - 6 again.
  10. Press OK.
  11. Perform scan again. 

Thanks! I'll test this when I get a chance, but I'm pretty sure this will fix my issues. I didn't notice that little box, and didn't realize this setting existed!

Thanks again!

This does the trick. My handwritten pages were randomly scanning upside down. Not any more.
Announcements