cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac won't connect with my Image Class LBP622C

AllanG
Apprentice

About a month ago, I unpacked and set up my Image Class LBP622C Printer connected to my iMac running High Sierra V 10.13.6.  First time uing it, everything worked fine.   Next time I tried to use it, the Mac couldn;t see the printer, which was hooked up via an Ethernet cable.  I reinstalled the Canon driver and got it to work.  Next time, the Mac didn't see it again.  This time I deleted the driver from the list and re-installed it again.   Couldn't find it anywhere.  Tried again, still no success. 

Today, I tried unplugging the cable and connecting wireless.   Mac is connected to the network.  Got the printer recognizing the network and tried adding it to by printer list again.  Still no success.  Read through troubleshooting stuff and then tried connecting through the IP protocol.  The Mac recognized the protocol and added the printer to the list, but when I tried to print something, it's still not making a connection.  (Says "The printer is not responding")  

It's been over a month and I can't print anything!   Can someone help or tell me how to contact someone who can?

Thanks!

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It sounds like you are chasing a moving target.  People who use their printers infrequently and who have not taken steps to ensure consistency often experience this behavior.

You can decide how you want to connect your printer to your network.  Wired or wireless.

Now perform the following action.  Assign the printer a static IP address.This will ensure any network device can always find the printer at its known destination (IP address). 

You can do this on the printer, or your router.  Its a one time set up and will remain constant.  Once set, install the printer using its static IP address.  Moving forward the printer will always be at this destination and other devices on your network can always "find' it when needed. 

Why this is recommended.  You router keeps track of device that connect to your network.  Some are static and and others come and go.  IP addresses are "leased" to devices connectiong to your netwoirk.  If a device a shut off, or not used for a length of time., the router may deem the device and "gone" and can reclaim the IP it assigned previously putting it back into the pool of avaialble addresses.  When you go to use it again, the IP your computer believes it is, might not be the one the router has assigned to it again.  A static IP is persistent.          

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It sounds like you are chasing a moving target.  People who use their printers infrequently and who have not taken steps to ensure consistency often experience this behavior.

You can decide how you want to connect your printer to your network.  Wired or wireless.

Now perform the following action.  Assign the printer a static IP address.This will ensure any network device can always find the printer at its known destination (IP address). 

You can do this on the printer, or your router.  Its a one time set up and will remain constant.  Once set, install the printer using its static IP address.  Moving forward the printer will always be at this destination and other devices on your network can always "find' it when needed. 

Why this is recommended.  You router keeps track of device that connect to your network.  Some are static and and others come and go.  IP addresses are "leased" to devices connectiong to your netwoirk.  If a device a shut off, or not used for a length of time., the router may deem the device and "gone" and can reclaim the IP it assigned previously putting it back into the pool of avaialble addresses.  When you go to use it again, the IP your computer believes it is, might not be the one the router has assigned to it again.  A static IP is persistent.          

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is great advice - but speaking from my *personal* experience (not in an official capacity), it's usually better to do it on the router if you can - that way, the router always knows where your device is, and if you have to change routers later and your settings change (ie IP changes from 192.168.xx.x to 172.16.x.x, or subnet change) you're not locked out of your device. This has happened to me - learn from my mistakes!

Stephen,

Indeed this is true. 

Fortunately, the LBP622C has an LCD and allows TCP/IP, Network and DHCP settings to be manually set or changed from the printers menu.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Knowing me, I'd have forgotten I changed the setting on the printer and be troubleshooting literally everything else for hours before I realized it was a simple setting on the printer that needed to be adjusted! (I was never a printer support agent - camera support was my previous life!)

Shadowsports got the right answer.

This is the most rediculous thing!!!! I bought this printer and I can not print anything from my mac because the driver software is out of date!!! I have not wasted countless hours trying to get it to work.... I called customer service, was on hold for over 2 hours and then got hung up on!!!! I called Best Buy to get help and they want to charge me $40-$80 to make it work. Returing  this prpoduct and NEVER buying another Canon product again!!!! 

AllanG
Apprentice

Hi all.  Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.  In the end, I turned to Geek Squad who helped solve the problem.  The driver on the Canon site is an older version and wouldn't work with the newer Mac OS.  The tech was able to find a newer version of the driver somewhere on the web and everything has been working perfect now.  Trid using IP connection, but now I'm back  to an ethernet cord and everything is perfect.

Whew!

Announcements