cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF9220cdn Scanning to network folder/email/pc via network and Windows password protected sharing

flymolo
Apprentice

I could use some info on how the Password Protected Sharing option in Windows works with scanning documents from printers via LAN. I've watched numerous guides on how to set up a scan to network folder, and couldn't get it to work from my Canon MF9220cdn UNTIL I turned password protected sharing off in the Advanced sharing settings of the Network and Sharing Center. None of the guides or articles I read talked about having to turn that "feature" off before scanning to a network folder via the printer would work.

So, question number one: I'm wondering what else I'm doing wrong (I've tried from multiple computers), and whether that's an option that should remain turned on, especially in an office environment. Can someone shed some light on exactly why this feature would by default be turned on in Windows, and what kind of security problems I could run into with disabling it. 

Questions number two: Is there a good piece of scanning software that I could use besides the built-in Windows scan application for scanning documents to a PC from that Canon printer?

I've installed the Color Network ScanGear 2 Tool and attached it to the Canon 9220 via IP address, and it only seems to work some of the time. Additionally, I believe I have to have the printer's Remote Scan set to "Online" from the console before I can scan a document to a PC correct? I came back to the printer after 30 minutes or so, and it had gone back to "Offline" without my telling it to do so. Is that just how it's suppose to be? Is there a way to keep it "Online"? 

I attempted to use the Canon MF Toolbox program to scan with, but it wouldn't recognize the printer and kept telling me that no printer had been detected or setup and to close and restart the program. I didn't see a way around this.

Question number three: How do I setup scan to email on this printer? I read on one of the Canon forums that the MF9220cdn doesn't support SSL, which might prevent me from using my current SMTP, and I'd have to use the unsecure Google SMTP. 

I appreciate any feedback I can get on these questions

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements