cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8280CW won't print - constant "waiting to print"

pampalmer60
Apprentice

MF8280CW imageclass purchased used in May 2020.

brought it home, installed, updated drivers etc.  Worked fine for the first 3-4 mos now when I want to print, VIA ETHERNET, file is sent from computer to printer, I get the "waiting to print" and it will not print.  I have tried uninstalling/re-installing.  Turning off/turning back on....if it's in a good mood, after a turn off it will print the first page of something but then "waiting to print" comes on.

Computer:  Windows 10 - 64bit.....I'm sure the issue might be after one of the Windows 10 updates that has made it incompatible.  I would really like to get this working - no doubt previous owners lied about the reason they were getting rid of it but there you have it.

"waiting to print" is a death sentence for this printer.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Based on your description it sounds like you might have more than one instance of the printer installed or more than one connection method specified.  

A couple of questions:

Was the computer the printer is connected to upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10,. or did it come with 10 from the start?

What build of windows 10 are you running? 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004, etc

Is the printer using a static or reserved IP address on the network?

Next steps

Control Panel > Device and Printers dialog

-Does more than one instance of the printer exist? (example) two listing for same device with slightly different name "MF8280CW" and "MF8280CW(1)"

Printer Properties (Same area)

What interface is the printer communicating on?

"WS"

"WSD" 

"TCP/IP port"

Ensure that the computer and printer are using the same port or connection method to communicate with one another.  Example, can you PING the printer from a command prompt? (even when you are unable to print)

Verify the Print Spooler Service is running

Start menu > Run command > services.msc > press enter.  Services applet, find the Print Spooler service..  is it running?

Latest windows 10 drivers are here:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNTI3OTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

If the computer was upgraded from windows 7 to 10, you may also need the Network Scan Patch:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNzY1NzAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Not needed unless you cannot scan

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Based on your description it sounds like you might have more than one instance of the printer installed or more than one connection method specified.  

A couple of questions:

Was the computer the printer is connected to upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10,. or did it come with 10 from the start?

What build of windows 10 are you running? 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004, etc

Is the printer using a static or reserved IP address on the network?

Next steps

-Does more than one instance of the printer exist? (example) two listing for same device with slightly different name "MF8280CW" and "MF8280CW(1)"

"WS"

"WSD" 

"TCP/IP port"

Ensure that the computer and printer are using the same port or connection method to communicate with one another.  Example, can you PING the printer from a command prompt? (even when you are unable to print)

Start menu > Run command > services.msc > press enter.  Services applet, find the Print Spooler service..  is it running?

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNTI3OTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

If the computer was upgraded from windows 7 to 10, you may also need the Network Scan Patch:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNzY1NzAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

A couple of questions:

What build of windows 10 are you running? 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004, etc ---> 2004

Is the printer using a static or reserved IP address on the network?  --> not sure - it currently says Auto DHCP , auto detect, 0.0.0.0

tried to change and I couldn't 

Next steps

-Does more than one instance of the printer exist?  NO - only the one (example) two listing for same device with slightly different name "MF8280CW" and "MF8280CW(1)"   --> though it would find the FAX 

"WS"

"WSD" 

"TCP/IP port"  --> this one - Auto DHCP, auto detect IP - tried to change to enter manually with no success, kept going back to auto

Start menu > Run command > services.msc > press enter.  Services applet, find the Print Spooler service..  is it running?  --> YES

I uninstalled the printer and attempted to reinstall and all it found was the CANON MF8280C FAX

I'm ready to smash this thing

Well @shadowsports, I don't know what changed other than my printer heard me say I wanted to smash it.

It finally accepted the IP address and seems to be working fine. (fingers crossed).  

Perhaps you waved a magic wand for my benefit, but regardless, I am printing again

Thank you for your insight and leading me in the direction I needed to take to find the problem.

Greetings,

Thanks for your feedback.  Glad I was able to poin you in the right direction.  Sorry it took me so long to reply.  

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements