cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743CDW not printing pdfs correctly on Mac

brianinoc
Contributor

I recently acquired a MF743CDW printer.  Today when I tried to print a pdf using the Preview PDF viewer on my mac, the italic text printed as a bunch of boxes.  This document printed fine on my work printer and previous home printer.

The document also printed fine using Adobe Acrobat Reader, but I would prefer not to use that option.

I am using Mac OS v 10.15.3.  Printer is connected via ethernet.  I installed the latest drivers from the Canon website.

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks,

Brian

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

For text, PDFs will either embed the actual font or just reference an existing font that must be installed on the system printing/viewing it.  Thus, it sounds like you're missing a font.  Specifically, an italic version of some font the document is using.  

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I'd assume that the issue is related to fonts, but how to get the printer driver to see them.  The document was created on my machine.  All fonts in the pdf list as embedded.  It printed fine from my machine to other (postscript) printers.

Hmm... I wonder if it's attempting to do some kind of font substitution, but only when printing the italic runs of text?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@brianinoc wrote:

I'd assume that the issue is related to fonts, but how to get the printer driver to see them.  The document was created on my machine.  All fonts in the pdf list as embedded.  It printed fine from my machine to other (postscript) printers.

What application was the document created in?

I suggest using it to print. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The pdfs are generated in the command line based typesetting system pdflatex.  So printing for the application is not an option.

This is still not working.  I tried completely removing the /Library/Printer folder and installing the 10.19.3 print drivers and it still prints boxes.

If I export to TIFF and then print, it works.  But that is slow and inefficient.

Is there any way to escalate this to the driver development team?  It seems to me that incorrectly printing PDFs on a clean OS install is a pretty big issue.

Announcements