cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF741CDW Imageclass toner cartridge error

garrett101815
Apprentice

My printer is telling me that it has counterfeit or missing toner cartridges installed and I am unable to print at all. Is there a way around this such as an override or a way manually reset the toner status?

12 REPLIES 12

My understanding is that there must be a chip in the cartridge for it to work. The chip is indeed OEM, but the printer incorrectly thinks the chip belongs to an empty cartridge. As a result, when I try to print, my Mac gives me an error saying the toner is empty. I subsequently need to delete the printer from my computer and then re-add it. It works one time, but then the next time the Mac gets notified that the toner cartridge is "empty" (according to the old chip) and wont print again. And round and round I go.

I'm running out of options. The only other adjustable parameter is to tell the unit how much toner can be left in the cartridge before signaling it is time to replace. If there is no chip, or a chip saying that the cartridge is empty, then that option won't work.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All of dexman335 answers are correct.  

Disabling Canon Genuine can allow some, but not all 3rd party toners to work.  Some toners are manufactured to such low quality standards, they just won't work.

Use of chip re-setters.  These exist, but seem to be limited to certain model printers (only inkjets) as far as I'm aware.  They are used on cartridges that can be refilled.  I haven't seen re-setters for toner cartridges.  I have seen vendors selling new chips starting at about $4.  This can allow a re-filled toner to be used again.  However, there are no guarantee these will work 100% of the time.  Compatibility is subject to change.  Refilling inks and toner can be messy and require investment, including your time.  Manufacturing can vary which affects results and quality.  If quality and consistency are important, I would not recommend using non OEM ink or toners.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements