cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733CDW Cannot Scan to Email with SMTP Auth - Error 806

sh_tech
Contributor

We just installed a new Color imageClass MF733CDW and configured it to scan to email, using the following settings: 

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com

Use SMTP Auth, username: authenticatedaccount@ourdomain.com with known good password

Checked TLS

Set Networking Port to 587

When trying to scan to email, the printer spits out a piece of paper that says "Error".  The TX logs through the Remote UI says Error #806, which supposedly means the recipient email address isn't valid.  But we know it is.

We also have an open SMTP relay.  When I use those settings over port 25 with no authentication, the scan goes through just fine.

Can anyone think of anything else for us to look at?  We've been an HP shop until now, so I might be missing a setting in this Canon UI somewhere?  Or ... I dunno.  I'm just stumped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The UI to set the port numbers is separate: 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-1354-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS249_security_233changingportnumbers.html#0...

Yes, it's really poor design, don't know who came up with that. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nik2018
Contributor

I bought Canon MF733 in 2018

The first year everything working great

.. " Scan to Email " ... very easy to set up just use printer display to add as many Email you want

and printer will do the job for you

When you want to scan to Email just pick any or many Email of your choices

My kids , my spouse can scan to Email when I travel oversea ... very easy

... BUT after software update in 2020 .... EVERYTHING GOES BAD ... VERY BAD ...!!!

Now the same Canon printer since 2018 cannot ... " Scan to Email " ... anymore  ----  WHY ...??

What kind of software update made machine get worst ....??

I try to erase every software update and installed again from original CD with no success

I have NO SCAN TO EMAIL for more than 2 years now

So, I bought HP Inkjet Printer All in One HP at 4 times cheaper than this Canon MF733C at Amazon

This HP 7155 is a low cost inkjet WiFi  printer Fax & Scanner and WORKING GREAT

-----  Now I can SCAN TO EMAIL again -----

Set up is very easy .... Just like the first time I have Canon MF733C by put in Email Address as much as you want , the different is HP 7155 must send 1 Email at a time , Canon can send more than 1 Email .... BUT it is not working

Search YouTube .... some are good ...

https://youtu.be/bLygv3E0ODY .... go to Remote UI

https://youtu.be/O7bpPG2fC0w

... Try it

Nik2018
Contributor

The crazy thing about this printer is when I have this printer in May 2018

Everything working great ..!!! ...

I set up ... " Scan to Email " ...  from printer screen ,  add 3 Gmail with no problem.

When I was away from home my kid will scan important mails to Gmail for me.

BUT after driver update at the end of 2018 ,  I can't Scan To Email any more.

Follow instructions on Youtube with no success.

Today is 02-24-2023 ... I can't use .. " Scan To Email " ...  from Canon Printer.

I have to scan from HP Printer with else.

Why Scan To Email have problem after software update ..???

Software update suppose to make printer work better , but not for Canon Printer.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Are you using Office 365 or Gmail for SMTP?

If gmail, I recommend setting up and using an App Password.  Account > Security > App Passwords

You may want to start your own thread since this topic is 3 yrs old and the features in use at the time it was created are different that what you are using now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements