cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw initial setup locked out on a weekend

hvcanonuser
Apprentice

I have set up numerous MF644cdw printers for clients. On a Saturday I opened a new box and worked through the initial setup process on the printer itself.

Then, I went to log in to the web UI to complete the configuration. I have never see this before, but an error was presented saying I could not access the web UI before setting up a System Admin ID & code. I went to the printer display and saw that the default System Admin ID was "Administrator", and I entered a new System ID code. I chose a 4 digit code, but noticed when I accepted the change it added a few zeros in front of it. 

I returned to my web UI but it refuses to allow login with the same error message. But now, when I try to access the Maintenance page it is locked with a code and will not accept my code, maybe because you cannot start by entering zeros.

So here I am at my client's office with no way to access the printer either on the device itself or the web interface, there is no method for the end user to factory reset the device, and I cannot reach Canon technical support until Monday morning.

I will now have to return to my client's office on Monday, undoubtedly at my own expense, and then get on hold for tech support to sort out how to reset this device.

Junk software, junk instructions, junk support options for a scenario where a paying customer can lock themselves out from accessing the device. Why did Canon change their software to brick brand new printers?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The default should be 7 characters.  So I suggest you try 000[your 4 digits]

You can start or end with zeros, but cannot use all zero's for example.  

Afraid you will need to call Canon.  

The factory default System Manager ID and password is 7654321 for both ID and password.  If this was changed, you need to call Canon.  They can provide steps to reset the printer.  Please contact the Desktop Printing and Imaging Solutions Department at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Cannot access web UI.

Cannot begin entering a System ID or PW with zeros on the printer touchscreen. Zero is greyed out.

Why is Canon blocking web UI access on a brand new printer? Outrageously stupid design.

Thanks for trying, though!

Called on Tue Oct 27 at 9:55am EST and technical support is CLOSED!

What in the world is going on with this company?

Please try back now. The hours for imageCLASS printer techical support are Monday-Friday 10:00am to 6:30pm ET at: 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

Announcements