Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw scan function won't stay connected

hookedup
Contributor

ImageClass MF644Cdw

Windows 10

Connection via USB (direct and no network)

After hibernation or a cold start, if I try to scan, the keypad message reads, “Connect the computer.” If I Restart (not shutdown and start) my pc, the connection gets restored and I can scan.

While scanner was disconnected, I’ve gone to the Canon MF Scan Utility and tried activating the scanner through the app. I get a message, “Canon MF Scan Utility has stopped. A problem…” If I try to print a document from the pc when the scan problem exists, there are no issues.

I’ve tried all the power setting suggestions for the USB ports and all the suggestions to keep the port from powering saving when not in use etc. I’ve uninstalled and installed the drivers per Canon following the disconnect/connect suggestions of the cable during the download and uploading.  I've spent a LOT of time waiting on the customer help line waiting to speak to someone.  I spoke to them once and the issue was not resolved.

The printer is two weeks new to me and already ready to take it back.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28

Canon3
Apprentice

I found a sort of fix that works for me. I have Windows 10 that is up to date. The scanning function was working and then I changed some parameters in the MF Scan Utility with my first use of B&W scanning. Then I got the issue others described - Connect to Computer message on multifunction printer when trying to scan from the printer.

I was able to go to the Windows start button (left side of bottom of screen), go to the Canon folder and click on the Canon MF Network Scanner Selector link and the network came up. I put a link on my desktop to make this easier to use. It seems to reliably work. Color and B&W scans work. I hope this continues to work.

I tried putting the link in the startup folder for executing links using the Windows run command  ->>> shell:startup. This did not work.

I confirmed the Canon MF Network Scanner Selector is in the Startup Apps folder (found with search in Windows) and is enabled there. It does initiate a process in task manager once the computer is rebooted (even when Connect to Computer message showing).

Right now I have this easy workaround fix. There is something wrong with the interaction of Windows 10 and the Canon software. Maybe someone can figure this out further. Maybe this would be fixed with reloading my drivers and scanner utilities but others have not found this to be reliable and I am afraid the issue could recur even after this.

I made a task with Task Scheduler of Windows 10. Set trigger at unlock, set highest privileges and run in parallel if already running. This works for over one month.

I disabled usb selective suspend (not needed anyway) but did you find this worked even with printing over wifi?

My solution continues to work. Yes, it works with wifi printing.

thom4782
Apprentice

Hi...

My problem is my MF644Cdw scanner wouldn't connect after a scan request. Popup said scanner wasn't found or busy or a 3rd item which I forget. This solution worked for me on my MacBook running Mojave OS.

Actions on MacBook

1. Delete all 644 printers, scanner, and faxes through System Preferences' Printers and Scanners function
  2. Uninstall all 644 drivers by deleting them in the Applications Folder
  3. Reintstall MF644Cdw printer driver
  4. Reinstall MF644Cdw scanner driver

Actions on MF644Cdw

1. Select Menu, then Preferences, then Network
  2. Select Wireless LAN
  3. Next, select TCP/IP Settings
    1. Set IPv6 to Off
    2. Then Select IPV4 Settings
      1. Select IP Address Settings
      2. Set Auto Acquire to On
      3. Return to IPv4 Settings
      4. Select DCHP Option Settings
        1. Set the following parameters to ON
          1. Acquire Host Name
          2. Acquire DNS Server Addrress
          3. Acquire Domain Name
          4. Acquire WNS Server Address
        2. Touch Apply
  4. Next, open Canon MF Scan Utility
  5. Then open Network Scannet Settings from Canon MF Scan Utility dropdown menu
    1. Delete scanner
    2. Add scanner back

I tried many of the sterps above, but the scanner would fail to start often. It was only when I set many of the DCHP Oprtion to ON that the scanner consistently started and scanned the documents.  My guess is the scanner failed to start because the MF644Cdw was failing to find the scanner on the network when waking from sleep

Good luck. Hope it works for you

Hi tom4782. I had my DHCP settings as you detailed but that failed to fix my issue; I checked again and my DHCP settings are still that way.

I had concluded, as well, that it was an issue with waking from sleep. Since my computer locks when it goes to sleep my approach was to put in a Task that is triggered with unlocking my computer. This task loads the link I noted above. I am on a Windows 10 machine.

Maybe what you did is all that is needed for the MAC, however.

Well my original fix stopped working...so who know whether is was wrong or only addressed some of the underlying issues. 

I was able to make the scanner work again. After uninstalling the printer and scanner drivers, I added the printer. Here's the big change. In the past, I had set the "default" printer to last printer used. This time I set it to the "Canon MF642C/643C/644C(....) printer. Scanning started working again.

Hope this fix lasts.

myersjoe
Apprentice

I am not able to set up a Canon laserjet MF644Cdw printer/copier/scanner to scan to a computer Windows Home 10 on a 64bit laptop connected to a wireless network. When I try to scan using mfscanutility.exe I get error messages [1] Selected paper size is larger than physical scanning area. Cropping will occur. Continue? and error[2] Follow instructions in online manual. Scanner driver will be terminated, code 255,0,0, and when I try to scan using the Canon touch-screen I get error message [3] Connect the computer. All 3 error messages are discussed online here but I do not find solutions that work. I installed the driver with MF642CMFDriverV6403W64.exe, The How-to video installed with MF735CMFDriverV6403W64.exe, I do not find that version on the Canon web site. Per Canon advised solutions to errors [1] and [2] , I reinstalled and restarted the computer repeatedly - did not fix, and Canon reply to same issue on model 8580 says error [3] is due to windows 10 upgrades, Canon provided a patch, NetworkUSBScanPatchEN.exe, I downloaded and ran it - did not fix. Please advise, thanks.

Buy HP

astreckfuss
Contributor

The Canon software and drivers for the ImageClass MF644Cdw, cannot differentiate when you are using USB or Wi-fi. Even when you select one or the other during installation of the software/drivers, the software will drop BOTH USB and Wi-fi drivers on your Windows machine. When the printer has Wi-fi turned on and the Windows machine is connected to the printer via USB, Windows cannot figure out which to use and then you will get Driver Contention which causes the Communication error/Connection issue. Simply put, you cannot have both Wi-fi turned on in the printer AND have the printer installed on a workstation via USB. Remote computers on your network will print / scan fine but the USB attached computer is going to have all of the issues. Here is what I discovered - that has fixed the issue for me.

1. COMPLETELY DELETE all of the Canon software. Everything. Then reboot the Windows machine.
  2. Remove the USB cable, you will not be using it again.
  3. Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed.
  4. Install the Canon Software and Drivers. When prompted, DO NOT select USB installation.
  5. Install the Toner Status software.
  6. Install the Canon MF Scan Utility.
  7. Check/upgrade printer firmware.
  8. Setup a Static IP on both the printer and the wireless switch, this will prevent DHCP reassignment when there is a power interruption.
  9. Reboot.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements