cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw Noise

sboylan
Apprentice

I have a Canon MF644Cdw laser printer that I just purchased. I have enjoyed using it. 

My printer starts to make a squeal/squeaking noise upon printing. How do I fix this? 

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Noises like what you describe usually indicate there is something is binding or an obstruction.

This is not somethng you should ignore.  You'll need to inspect the printer for packing material.  Its paper feeding and transport mechanism, etc.  If you cannot determine the source, return or replace it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I would say it sounds like the paper feeder mechanism. I'll try to run some compressed air through it. 

Thank you.

Hi sboylan.

If you are unable to find any packaging or stuck paper causing the squeeking, then you'll want to contact support for further assistance.  If you're located in the U.S., our support is available 10 am to 6:30 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), at 1-800-652-2666.

If you're located outside of the U.S., you may find your regional branch through http://canon.global/en/support

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

theporcupine
Apprentice

The Canon MF644 is a noisey printer. BUT if the sounds change, A Gear grinding sound that is much different than the normal sounds that the printer makes.

Check:

Is one of the colors printing lighter than normal?

Is the grinding noise continue after the page has finished printing?

No mater what you do, nothing seems to help.

Change the ofending cartridge!

If it still makes the grinding noise, change the cartridge again!

I use NON OEM ink cartridges. I really thought that the printer was shot. I changed the cartridge and still had the problem. As a last desperite try I replaced the cartridge AGAIN! Low and Behold the problem was gone. Just the Normal loud noises that this printer makes.

Printing was back to normal. Yes I had two defective cartridges in a row!  Would I have had this problem if I used OEM cartridges? Probably not, but for the cost difference, buying three 2nd party cartridges  still was less expensive than buying ONE Canon cartridge. 

hollydorris
Apprentice

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm on my second one making this terrible noise. I sounds like something is hung up, but there's nothing, it's been doing this since I got it, just like my last one.

Hello Hollydorris,

If the printer is making grinding/squealing noises, I would suggest reloading the toner cartridges using the steps in the link provided HERE. If that does not work, you can try checking for jams using steps in the link provided HERE. If you continue to have issues, it looks like there might be a problem with the hardware.

In this situation, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check what might be making the noise and can provide trouble shooting steps or service options.

Now my third one has started doing the same thing. No jams, toner carts are all set correctly.....I guess I'll have to change brands, which is unfortunate because this one prints beautifully.

Hello Hollydorris,

If you have had the same issue on three of the printer's it could be caused by the one of the toner cartridges, the printer environment, or the hardware. The printer has a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase which includes phone support and repair/replacement options. In this situation, I would suggest contacting support and they would be happy to assist with what might be causing the noise and can provide any service options if needed.

This is my third one that support has replaced. I use genuine toner carts, have reset them, etc. There has to be another reason. It does tend to get worse when I'm printing more often, maybe the heat is causing it? That's the last thing I can think of...

Announcements