Did you mean: 

MF643Cdw scanner is not working via Wifi on Mac

Gleb_Martje
Apprentice

Hi,

Just bought this machine.

Followed the instruction and when start testing everything:

Printer is working via USB and Wifi.

Scaner is working via USB but is not working via wifi. When using MF Scan Utility, I can see only Canon MF643 USB and when trying to scan without cable I receive Pop Up " Cannot communicate with any of the scanners. The scanners may not be connected, or may be turned off.". Also you cannot find scanner in Printers and Scanner. Only Printer.

My Mac OS is Mojave 10.14.6

How to fix it?

Best,

Gleb

8 REPLIES 8

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Gleb_Martje.

Please make sure that you have registered the printer for network scanning in the MF Scan Utility by following the steps at the link below:

Registering an MF Scan Utility Compatible Scanner (Mac)

If you are still unable to access the network version of the scanner, after following the steps at the link, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

brg810
Contributor

I have the same issue with my MF642Cdw 

I figured this out. After looking at packet captures using wireshark to see if the MacBook Pro was sending packets to the printer for the scan request, I was able to verify it wasn't a network issue. 

Looks like the issue is with the printer firmware. I went into the Remote UI on my browser, and disabled the following: 

1. Under Settings/Registration --> External Interface Settings

A. Hit Edit and set the following: 

- Use as USB Device: Off

- Use USB Storage Device: Off

B. Click the Ok button save your changes.

3. Under Store/Access Files Settings --> Memory Media Settings

A. Hit Edit and set the following:

- Store to Memory Media: Off

- Memory Media Printer: Off

B. Click the Ok button save your changes.

Power off the printer by using the main power switch. Let it sit for about 30 secs or so and power it back on to apply the changes.

Seems as if the printer by default, wants to save the scanned docs locally to the local USB media (even though there isn't one plugged in) and I'm initiating the scan on my Macbook Pro. 

After the changes were applied and the printer was rebooted, I was able to scan using MF Scan Utility and MacOS Preview, though it was a bit slow. I wasn't able to reproduce this on a wired connection but I expect it to the about the same since it's not a network issue.

For reference, the printer is running the following: 

Main Controller: 01.26

Boot ROM: 01.01

DCON: 01.05

Language: 01.05

This works when the printer is registered either via Bonjour or IP. One caveat I noticed is that if you scan using MF Scan or Preview first, you won't be able to scan using the other app afterwards, without power cycling the printer. 

Canon: QA/QC testing needs improvement. 

I tried what you said and I was PARTIALLY able to get the printer to scan.. (Mine is a MF642Cdw).    However, whenever I try to open the MF Scan Utility or the MF Toolbox app, It says it cannot see the scanner.

I was able to get it to work INITIALLY.    however, when I updated the firmware (after having tested the printing and scanning capabilities), the MF Toolbox and MF Scaner Utility no longer recognize the Scanner at ALL.

I have to use the built in scanner in Mac OS which.. is okay, but I'd rather use the utility built for the scanner.

Oh! And another thing - at one point, my Mac actually showed up on the display on the printer INITIALLY, Pre-firmware update.      I tried to scan something by clicking on my mac to send it to my mac, but it didn't work.   It hung for a long time, then gave an error.     

I updated the firmware, then I was no longer able to use the MF Scan Utility - so I believe the issue is with the Firmware update.

Thanks for your help brg810.

I had the same problem with MF642cdw until I entered the IP address (numbers separated by dots) as the printer location. It works now.

This worked for my MF644CDW after multiple driver updates and spending 2+ hours this morning.

>> You say "Canon: QA/QC testing needs improvement".

Agreed. After 30 years of Canon printers, this is the worst by far for connectivity.

THANKS!

Smiley Happy

Sweetchickie
Apprentice

I get this error message a lot.  I finally figured out how to "temporarily" fix this until it happens again.

We have power outages frequently and the IP address of the printer changes every time so I get the pop up "Cannot communicate with any of the scanners. The scanners may not be connected, or may be turned off."

This is what I do on my MacBook Pro, running OS Big Sur

First, I go into System Preferences under printer & scanners and delete the printer, then reinstall it.

Then I open the MF scan utility and in the upper left corner of the screen, select Network Scanner Settings.  Delete the printer and add it again.   That's it.

It works for me until the printer gets unplugged or the power goes out again at which time I get the dreaded pop up again.

I hope this helps!

I have this same problem on MF644CDW and it seems completely random. I seem to have better luck if I wake the machine up by pushing a button prior to scanning, but otherwise completlely random if I'll be able to scan. I'm fed up and want my money back honestly. 

Announcements