cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642Cdw - The serial number you have entered is incorrect

ckuyehar
Apprentice

I am trying to download a firmware update but the serial number I am entering for my printer is reportedly invalid. My serial number is eight characters long and begins with 2LQ.

How do I resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your serial number appears to be correct.  8 digits alpha-numeric (letters first, then numbers).  

Where did you purchase your printer?  

This ImageClass model has a 3 yr warranty.  This applies to units intended for sale in the US.  Have you registered it yet?

My Canon 

You do not need to register the device for downloads, I was just trying to verify its origin.  

Your firmware can be updated 2 ways.  One is by using the firmware update tool (download).  The second can be done via the internet if the device is connected to a network with internet connectivity.  (wired or wireless).   

This is done via the printers control panel.  From the Home screen scroll to the right and look for Firmware Update (Image of the printer with a blue arrow aiming down).  Tap this and follow the prompts.  Note: Do not send any jobs to the device or press any buttons during the update process.  It takes several minutes.  Once downloaded, the printer will restart and perform the update. 

If this doesn't work, you will need to register your device in the portal above.  This should help verify the device's origin.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your serial number appears to be correct.  8 digits alpha-numeric (letters first, then numbers).  

Where did you purchase your printer?  

This ImageClass model has a 3 yr warranty.  This applies to units intended for sale in the US.  Have you registered it yet?

My Canon 

You do not need to register the device for downloads, I was just trying to verify its origin.  

Your firmware can be updated 2 ways.  One is by using the firmware update tool (download).  The second can be done via the internet if the device is connected to a network with internet connectivity.  (wired or wireless).   

This is done via the printers control panel.  From the Home screen scroll to the right and look for Firmware Update (Image of the printer with a blue arrow aiming down).  Tap this and follow the prompts.  Note: Do not send any jobs to the device or press any buttons during the update process.  It takes several minutes.  Once downloaded, the printer will restart and perform the update. 

If this doesn't work, you will need to register your device in the portal above.  This should help verify the device's origin.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ckuyehar
Apprentice

Purchased directly from Amazon; shipped and sold by them. My warranty has expired. I'll try it through the menu. Thanks.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements