cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642Cdw Load paper error

woodmarx1
Apprentice

This MF6422Cdw is a newly installed machine for my office.  Every time we print we have to select on the machine the paper source as it gives an error of "Load Paper Drawer 1".  There is paper in the tray, it is correctly identified I believe, so I'm not sure what this is about.  Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

woodmarx1
Apprentice

So I'm using the wifi install setup and apparently the driver that was automaticaly installed wasn't working properly or was out of date.  I installed the driver on the disk that came with the printer and it solved this problem.  Not sure how to fix this issue on my mobile devices that use the Canon Print App, because they don't work either, doing the same thing.  Hopefully this helps someone with the same problem.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

woodmarx1
Apprentice

So I'm using the wifi install setup and apparently the driver that was automaticaly installed wasn't working properly or was out of date.  I installed the driver on the disk that came with the printer and it solved this problem.  Not sure how to fix this issue on my mobile devices that use the Canon Print App, because they don't work either, doing the same thing.  Hopefully this helps someone with the same problem.

Hi, woodmarx1.

If the MF642Cdw isn't working with your mobile device, make sure the app or add-on is up to date. 

You may also wish to check that the printer's firmware is up to date and, if necessary, update it.  Directions may be found through the following page in the Online Manual:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-mcn_mng-firm_updt.html

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

zipfan
Apprentice

How to reset System Manager ID and PIN?  Sorry for posting here....not sure how to start a new thread

Rudy7777
Apprentice
I have the same problem... Any suggestions

The paper type you have set for the printer must match the media type in your printer utility on your computer or device. If one is set to FINE and the other set to PLAIN it will give you a LOAD PAPER ERROR. The Canon printer MF642CDW does not have a PLAIN PAPER selection so you have to change your computer. Go to START right click then select SYSTEM then DEVICES.  Click on PRINTERS and SCANNERS. Select your printer.then click on MANAGE. select PRINTER PROPERTIES. Then the ADVANCED tab. Bottom left selct PRINTING DEFAULTS . Then PAPER/QUALITY. Set the MEDIA to the type selected on the printer. My printer was set to TR1 FINE but the computer defaulted to PLAIN PAPER. I changed the computer to closest one which was LIGHTWEIGHT PAPER. Must select OK before exiting or your selection will go back to default  PLAIN PAPER next time you print. This was my solution for mf642cdw running on windows 10.

Fantastic!  That fixed my issue.  I had it set to plain 22lb paper on the printer, but like you said, the driver only has a plain paper generic setting.  Changed the printer to plain 1, which was 17lb paper.  It printed perfectly after that!  Thanks a lot!  Was driving me batty why it kept saying it was out of paper.  Never had a setting like that cause such a pain in the butt.  Thank You! Much appreciated!

jmaria
Apprentice

Hi all,

I had the exact same problem and figured out a solution.

I logged into the remote UI by typing the ip address in my browser. (I had previously set a password for remote UI)

Then went to: "Settings/Registration"

Click on "Paper Settings"

On the left pane click "Printer Settings"

Click "Custom Settings"

Click on the "Edit" button at the top right

Make sure "Multi purpose tray" is unchecked

Check "Drawer 1"

Action When Paper Size Mismatch:" is set to force output. 

Click "OK"

Hope I can make someone's day by sharing my solution! Smiley Happy I had a hard time figuring this out!!!

You have saved my day. Great work. Finally a solution for my problem. 

Incredible this isn't a default setting by Canon. 

Thanks a lot @jmaria

I am happy I brightened your day by sharing the solution. I know how stressful it can be! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements