cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF451DW cannot scan, error "cannot communicate with the scanner"

drtbar
Apprentice

Works great in Windows 10, upgraded to Windows 11, not will not scan. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, tried USB, tried wired via network, tried wireless, all same error. Redownloaded drivers and tried all again. No difference.

Spent hours with canon tech support and he finally said there is a known issue with Windows 11 and scanners. He said wait for a patch.

Fortunately I have another box on my network that has not yet been updated to Windows 11 and can continue to use the scanner.

How long do I have to wait for a patch?

5 REPLIES 5

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Drtbar,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or to check for the patch/update that you need, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. Are you able to scan from Windows based programs like Windows Fax and scan or Paint?
  2. When you are unable to communicate with the scanner, what specific code number do you get along with the message?

Hi Hector,

Thanks for your reply. I have it installed via the network, but plugged the usb cable back in to verify your #1 request and miraculously was able to scan normally with the computer it is plugged into. How and why that started working I have no idea.

However, how do I scan without the USB cable via the network? Google search gave me this:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0015-zz-SS-enUV/contents/07010030.html

which talks about registering the scanner via MF Network Scan Utility, but I have not found such a utility.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Drtbar,

To use the scanner from the computer via the network, you can disconnect the USB cable and reinstall the drivers. Once the USB cable is disconnected, you can download and install the Windows 64bit] MF455dw MFDrivers from our support site. During the install, you can select the network option when it ask for the connection type.

If the printer is not detected during the network install, you can try turning off any security software that might be blocking the setup or you can try reconnecting the printer to your wireless network.

If you continue to have issues with the network setup, I would suggest contacting our support team over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help with any network connection issues.

Hi Hector.

I am having the same problem with my MF451dw printer. Using both my PC and iMac. Sometimes it scans perfectly, without a problem, (except for an incredibly fussy document feeder which jams with the slightest crinkle of paper).

On the Mac I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner... check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated. Error code: 600108".

On the PC: "Scan Gear MF: Cannot scan because of the following" - Scanner is busy   - Error Occured in the scanner. Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated. Code: 162,0,0"

This seems to be a long-standing issue, what gives? I need a reliable machine.

Hello MartinBalsam,

The issue previous customer had pointed more towards Windows security blocking the scanner connection .If you are getting sporadic communication/busy messages while scanning and it is happening from more than one OS, I would suggest turning the printer off and then turning the router that is connecting all the device off and on. Once the network is back up, you can turn the scanner back on and try another scan. If the issue persist, I would suggest moving the scanner to see if it gets a better connection to your network.

Announcements