cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M Canon MF4880dw STOPPED RESPONDING after my Upgrade to OS X Yosemite on my iMac ??????

Longhaily
Apprentice

Apple Support GAVE UP and asked me to call Canon instead.
Driver was downloaded from Canon website but OSX Yosemite COULD NOT recognized it ? Instead it showed a strange Canon printer model PF5500 connected ? and I tried this model too , it did not work either ?

Does this mean all of us who bought this MF4880dw will have to throw it out and buy another more RELIABLE printer from somewhere else ?

If I get no help soon from Canon, I will have to say GOODBYE to Canon forever.

Any HELP is appreciated.

Phillips Lee

3 REPLIES 3

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Phillps Lee.

I will be glad to assist you.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.  Please follow the instructions below:

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Select the printer you are using -> click [-] icon.

Note:

Delete all print queues set from the driver you are deleting.

3. Delete the folders and files for the driver you are deleting.

• [System Volume]/Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2
  • [System Volume]/Library/LaunchAgents/jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist
  • Mac OS X 10.5 and later:
    [System Volume]/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/CNTD***Z*2*.ppd.gz
    Where *** indicates a character string that represents the printer model, and *2* indicates a character string that represents the corresponding language.

Important

If you delete a "PPD.gz" file other than that of the printer model you want to delete, the printer driver may not work correctly.

Note:

If the [Authenticate] dialog box is displayed, enter the administrators name and password -> click [OK].

4. Restart your computer and empty the Trash Bin.

Uninstallation is complete.

After emptying the Trash Bin, please reinstall the drivers and then follow the instructions below to register the printer back into the print queue:

Article Details

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Turn the printer on -> connect the printer to a computer with a USB cable.

3. Click the [+] icon.

The printer registration dialog box is displayed.

4. Click [Default] or [Default Browser].

5. Select the MF4800 Series.

Note:

Select a printer that has [USB] displayed in the [Kind] or [Connection] column.

6. Select [Select Printer Software] from [Print Using] -> You will see two options for the MF4800 Series (MF4800 Series and MF4800 Series Fax) ->select the MF4800 Series.

If you are using Mac OS X 10.6.x, select the printer driver corresponding to the printer you are going to use from the list.

7. Click [Add].

8. Confirm that the printer has been added in the [Printing] pane of the [Printers & Scanners] dialog box -> close the dialog box.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick, Thankd for your kind response. However once I got to your Step 2 to delete the printer drivers, the Add (+) Printer FROZED and did NOT respond.  So there you go, I am completely stuck at this step ?

Should I bring my Imac to Apple store to have them fixed it under their warranty ? 

Thank you for your reply.

I recommend restarting both the computer and the printer.  If the issue remains, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements