cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass mf264dw manual duplex scanning instructions

jasonsilver
Contributor

My printer, the Imageclass mf264dw is supposed to support manual duplex scanning with its automatic document feeder (ADF) -- how do I set this up? I didn't see any details on the steps for doing this in the "Instructions" section of the Canon MF Scan Utility or anywhere else.  By manual duplex scanning I mean it scans a stack of sheets from the ADF on one side first, then asks you to flip the pages and scans the other side.  Finally, it interleaves the pages from the two separate scans in the pdf file it outputs to you.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I understand your use case, however, this is not a Canon limitation.  Manual Duplex Scanning mean feeding the pages manually, not running a batch of scans on one side, and then the other.  You need to purchase a scanner that supports automatic duplex scanning on the ADF to achieve what you want to do.

Page interleaving (multiple pages) is not a supported feature on any printer I am aware of.  ADF Duplex Scanning - The second page of each scan is captured as each page is processed, not as a second operation.  Hope this gives you a better understanding.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Darius
Whiz

Hi jasonsilver.

The manual duplex is as you've said.  It will only be available when scanning using the document feeder.

When scanning from the printer's operation panel, look for the scan setting <2-Sided Original> and ensure it's set to Book Type or Calendar Type.

When scanning through the MF Scan Utility, you'll instead need to open the settings and enable [Scan both sides when scanning from the feeder].

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your response, though I was not able to find the options in the MF Scan Utility (winmfscanutilityv1900.exe, the latest version as of today) or my printer's control panel you said were avaialbe to make the printer do what what you said (duplex scanning using document feeder).  Are you sure manual duplex scanning is possible using the automatic document feeder with the mf264dw printer?  I'm not referring to manually flipping each page in a scan, but an automatic scan of the front sides of a stack,my flipping the stack (manuall part of course), an automatic  scan of the back sides of all pages, and then interleaving/merging.    If it is in fact capabile of doing what you said, can you provide a more detailed/step by step instructions with specific locations of the options you mentioned, especially since the the MF Scan Utility is not the most elegant application.  

Btw, I called Canon tech support about this issue.  They were very nice, but I did have to wait over an hour to speak to the technician.  I had to wait the same amount last week too when I called, so there's definitely a staffing issue or wait times are not a high priority at Canon.  The tech support person told me that the only way to do dupliex scanning was not with the ADF.  I needed to use the glass/flatbad and manually flip each page, which could take a while for a large stack of papers.

Alternatively, I found the following website that I will be using to create double sided pdf's using this (apparently) simplex scanning Canon printer.  The steps are:

1. Scan front side of stack of pages to create first pdf (single sided scan) with ADF.

2. Flip stack and scan again to create second pdf of back side.

3. Upload the two pdfs's to the website below.  The site will interleave and merge the two pdf's for you.

https://deftpdf.com/alternate-mix-pdf

Hi jasonsilver.

The phone support agents will be more knowledgeable about our printers.

While we're unable to endorse third-party websites, and recommend caution, I'm happy to hear you found a solution that worked for your circumstances.

You kinda skipped over his comment about the long wait times for techical support.  I called twice yesterday and had to hold about an hour both times. If I call "Sales" they pick up right away. 

I have the same issue on my MF741cdw printer (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/MF741Cdw-manual-double-side-scanning/m-p/316949#M...).

Have you found out another solution than sending docs to this website?

I am really surprised because my inkjet (MX472) has this functionality (Document ADF manual duplex).

Example here (on the IJ: InkJet utility):

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/M/MX920%20series/1.1/EN/SU/Su-009.html

It should be just a matter of software and not hardware so it is not acceptable not to have this feature on laser printers like ours.

Hi All,
If you have managed to setup the Canon device drivers and software, you can accomplish manual duplex scanning with free NAPS2 software which is honestly much more intuitive than that Canon software (Sorry Canon!). 
https://www.naps2.com/

Using NAPS2

Load you documents into the auto document feeder
Click Scan to scan your documents
Recover document from output tray and rotate 180 degree as you would a pizza
Place documents into the ADF and S the reverse sides
Click Reorder, Alternate Interleave - the pages will reorder themselves

If the software helped you consider, donating to the author. Cheers.

Announcements