cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass MF743Cdw prints too light. How to get it darker?

Linda_Hagan
Apprentice

My new (bought in October) Imagelcass has yet to print black in full black. It's very light, almost greyscale.  Color prints fine but the black is more of a grey.  I can adjust print settings when making copies, but can't find a way to make it "print" darker.  I use a PC, not a Mac.  Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TEKnightRider
Contributor

How to fix the “lighter looking” / slightly “washed out” printing of a Canon MF740 Series laser printer (Canon Color ImageClass MF743Cdw).

I noticed the brand new Canon MF743Cdw was printing what I would call “washed out” Color. Even on Black/Text only prints, it looked almost “Lite-Brown” or like some sort of Lighter Grayscale instead of a “Deep True Black”. It was very noticeable compared to several Canon Color ImageClass MF730 Series / MF733Cdw printers I had previously installed and configured.

To fix this…I followed this procedure and now the MF740 Series / MF743Ddw is printing like expected…like a champion with full vibrant Color and great rich deep Blacks when printing either B&W or Color.

Three (3) Steps to Great Color & Deep Blacks –

1. Clean Fixing Assembly -
    Go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  >  Adjustment/Maintenance  >   Maintenance  >  Clean Fixing Assembly  >  Select ‘OK’  >  Then, Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer Display, and let it do its thing).
  2. Correct Print Color Mismatch -
    Next, go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  >  Adjustment/Maintenance  >  Adjust Image Quality  >  Correct Print Color Mismatch  >  Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer’s Display, and let it do its thing).
  3. Auto Adjust Gradation - Full Adjust - (This is a more robust sequence than the initial Startup Color Adjustment when the printer was first turned ON.)
    Go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  > Adjustment/Maintenance  >  Adjust Image Quality  > Auto Adjust Gradation  >  Full Adjust  > Select ‘OK’ (it will list 4 Steps)…
    1. Print Image 1 for adjustment.
    2. Scan the printed Image 1 for adjustment.
    3. Print Image 2 for adjustment.
    4. Scan the printed Image 2 for adjust.
      Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer’s Display, and follow the on screen instructions).

This did the trick for me, hope others find it helpful, enjoy! 🙂

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

TEKnightRider
Contributor

How to fix the “lighter looking” / slightly “washed out” printing of a Canon MF740 Series laser printer (Canon Color ImageClass MF743Cdw).

I noticed the brand new Canon MF743Cdw was printing what I would call “washed out” Color. Even on Black/Text only prints, it looked almost “Lite-Brown” or like some sort of Lighter Grayscale instead of a “Deep True Black”. It was very noticeable compared to several Canon Color ImageClass MF730 Series / MF733Cdw printers I had previously installed and configured.

To fix this…I followed this procedure and now the MF740 Series / MF743Ddw is printing like expected…like a champion with full vibrant Color and great rich deep Blacks when printing either B&W or Color.

Three (3) Steps to Great Color & Deep Blacks –

1. Clean Fixing Assembly -
    Go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  >  Adjustment/Maintenance  >   Maintenance  >  Clean Fixing Assembly  >  Select ‘OK’  >  Then, Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer Display, and let it do its thing).
  2. Correct Print Color Mismatch -
    Next, go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  >  Adjustment/Maintenance  >  Adjust Image Quality  >  Correct Print Color Mismatch  >  Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer’s Display, and let it do its thing).
  3. Auto Adjust Gradation - Full Adjust - (This is a more robust sequence than the initial Startup Color Adjustment when the printer was first turned ON.)
    Go to the Home Screen  >  Menu  > Adjustment/Maintenance  >  Adjust Image Quality  > Auto Adjust Gradation  >  Full Adjust  > Select ‘OK’ (it will list 4 Steps)…
    1. Print Image 1 for adjustment.
    2. Scan the printed Image 1 for adjustment.
    3. Print Image 2 for adjustment.
    4. Scan the printed Image 2 for adjust.
      Select ’Start’ (in the lower righthand corner of the Printer’s Display, and follow the on screen instructions).

This did the trick for me, hope others find it helpful, enjoy! 🙂

Finally, YES, this worked!!  Thank you!! 🙂

Glad that worked for you! I'm new on this forum, so does that mean I get a Kudos Button? Smiley Happy

Plus, you have my favorite ladies name...Linda (my very patient wife is named Linda, too) Smiley Very Happy Seems everyone one I know that is named Linda are super nice people...Anyway, my Linda does a great job of putting up with me and my "techland" / late night propellerhead work. Robot Happy

Thanks so much, I'm hoping this will work for me, but when I try to use the clean feature, it says it can't perform the operation 😕 Any advice? 

Hi Firefly1 as mentioned in other posts...it's been awhile since I was here. Sorry the procedure I'd discovered is not working for you...you might want to call Canon (long hold times I know) at 800-652-2666 to see why your printer will not "Perform the Operation". Or check the below, too before you call...hope it helps! Smiley Happy

Check/Update the Firmware...

As I'd mentioned in previous posts...a person would want to make sure to update the printers Firmware...again, as previously mentioned, Firmware can make a MASSIVE difference in the craziest things that I've personally seen from other printer manufactures that will remain unamed here. ha ha Smiley Indifferent But I can say from being an ole Apple Level III Tech and former Apple Sales Manager going back to '84 (datting myself now). Smiley Wink Canon has been the best printer manufacture of them all...and again I've been around the block a few times. Lil' known fact, to some people, that Canon made the original engines in the very first Apple LaserWriters...Canon still makes these "true" laser printers. So while I still agree this one should not need to have a song and dance to make it work correctly and print nice and black...the procedure listed in an earlier past should work as it has for several others.

Anyway, rabbit trail over...

Normally the 'Toner Save' is OFF...or at least it was OFF by default on my printer. But to double check it...a person can get there two (2) diferent ways (see A & B below)...

A) There is the Web GUI Interface...that Masterloc was refering too...and the path goes like this...

Type in your printers IP address into your favorite web browser (which the IP Address can normally be found on the printer's display). Just press 'Status Monitor' from the lower righhand corner of the 'Home' Screen.

Then punch that IP into a web browser...and go to 'System Manager Mode' > Log In > (click button in the upper righthand corner) Settings/Registration  > Printer Settings (lefthand column) > Custom Settings > and check that 'Toner Save' is OFF...if it is ON a person can click the 'Edit' Button and turn it OFF.

B) Printer Screen Way to Check the 'Toner Save'... (perhaps a lil' simpler) Smiley Wink

Home Screen > Menu > Function Settings > Printer > Printer Settings > Print Quality > Then check if 'Toner Save' is OFF (again mine was OFF by default, which is actually one of the things I'd checked first when I first got this particular printer).

Well, that's a novel...hope that might help you!

OMG! It worked. 

I honestly didn't think it was going to! You ROCK!!!!

So pleased others are finding this helpful!

Yet I have a continuing and lingering thought, which I connot help but think...

And that is...How can or why doesn't Canon correct this easily fixed problem right out of the box when it is new? i.e. I hope that this printer does NOT get a "bad reputation" simply because somehow these printers are not setup to print deep black out of the box.

I would hate to see Canon lose face over this...or have this otherwise great printer lose sales, get bad reviews, or get low sales. I selfishly want this Canon Printer to sell like gainbusters; so that Canon sells lots; so future toner cartrigeds are in high demand; and so they also keep this great laser engine around for like a decade or longer (wishful thinking perhaps). But this is a great printer and engine otherwise...it reminds me of other great Canon Laser Engines from the past...like the old Canon EX Laser Engine that was in the Apple LaserWriter II 16/600 and many HP LaserJet 4 printers for years and years.

Anyway, I hope Canon is reading...they are great company and simpley make the best, period...just seems a lil' strange that this printer needs this lil' messaging to make it work correctly.

PS thanks for Kudos mark, too. 🙂

Thanks, this Did WORK!  I wish they had the 743 do this Automatically on initial set up, as it seems many have had the same issue.

Glad it worked unclefish51 ...and I totally and 110% agree...it certain seems that Canon should make this the "Standard Initial Setup Process". I really hope Canon does NOT get a bad reputation for this otherwise great printer. As selfishly, I'd want Canon to sell lots so that they stick with one Toner Cartrige for more than just a year or two. 😉 

Nope, this did not work for me as I had hoped.  Following your suggestion does result in a minor improvement to the readability of the text on downloaded pdfs (from any given manufacturer's product) but my machine is not recreating or functioning as it should.

Any other suggestions by chance?

At the end of the day, our desire, and reason for purchasing a laser printer to begin with, is to easily and without this kind of bother, print a pdf brochure so that what gets printed so closely approximates the original as to not cause any question.

Announcements