cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF Series Scanner not recognized after Windows 10 patch

pagjsp
Contributor

Around the second week in July we started having issues where our ImageClass MF247dw, MF267dw, and others would hang during a scan job to the connected computer, and eventually time out. I've followed all the recommended fixes I can find, and still several of the effected pc's have this problem on a daily basis, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall the printer/scanner again before they will function. Has anyone been tracking this, and has someone found a fix yet? Included are a couple of links explaining the problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-warns-windows-10-usb-printing-breaks-due-t...

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-update-breaks-usb-printers-functionality-because-of-course...

https://askgarth.com/blog/canon-scanner-unable-to-open-twain-source/

14 REPLIES 14

Same here, I have 6 people who can't scan so do I just throw these MF244dw in the garbage?

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Pagjsp,

If you are still having the issue after installing the latest drivers and software and it is only effecting certain computers, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be able to look further into the network environment or check what might be causing the scanner connection to time out.

pagjsp
Contributor

Hector, last time this happened (last month, right after Microsoft Patch Tuesday) it effected several workstations, all with the same "connect the computer" message when trying to scan. I uninstalled the latest Microsoft patches, reinstalled the Canon MF drivers and scanner app, and they've all been fine since. I was relating this to a Xerox tech during a visit to service our Xerox leased printers, and as it turns out he used to work for Canon. He wasn't surprised, and said the problem stems from shared dll files that get corrupted or overwritten when Microsoft installs certain patches, and that Canon has known about this for some time. Why haven't they come up with a fix yet, you may wonder? I certainly do.

SyntheticGoo
Apprentice

I am experiencing the same issue and have been for months now. It seems to affect only the scanning ability on my  MF249dw. Device is connected via USB. The solution for me is to uninstall / reinstall Canon's driver, but after the next Windows patch update the problem returns. I am beyond frustrated and will be replacing my MF249dw for a non-Canon product soon.

Nice job, Canon!

For what it's worth, the MF270 series printers (and I suppose later model series) don't exhibit this behavior. I've installed several of those and they're fine. But, it's a pain (and somewhat expensive) to replace a bunch of perfectly good printer/scanners with a newer model just because Canon (who must know by now what's going on) won't issue new drivers or patches to fix the problem on their older models. I suppose from their viewpoint, they're thinking "Why should we?" 

Announcements